Objectivism Online Forum

Why did Cheryl Brooks commit suicide?

Rate this topic

happiness

Sometimes the facts of reality are just too overwhelming. Just leaving her husband would not solve her existential crises. James was merely a piece in a much larger puzzle that when Cheryl finally put it in place she saw everything. And in that moment of clarity she felt hopeless to do anything about it except escape. Completely, and forever.

I think that her act was justified, and at the same time very tragic. A person who can grasp reality. Even if for a brief moment, truly grasp it. That person is worthy of value on some level. That is why it is tragic, she was capable of seeing the truth and had no ideas with which to save herself and continue living.

Just my two cents.

Well, look at the other suicides in AS. There was the one where the guy slit his wrists and bled out allover a newlywed couples bed out of malice. Making a show of his suicide. According to the novel one should spit on the memory of that guy, not feel sorry for him. Cheryll' s suicide wasn't out of malice. Reread that passage, it says something about how can one pass judgment on another's suffering or on the limit of that which one can bear, etc. It's on p.321centennial edition. Cheryll' s suicide should not be morally condemned I think. Though I'd of liked to of seen her run to Dagny' s place, where she may have helped, been able to get the help from a mental health pro, and also consulted a lawyer in regards to her marriage, etc. Then have her get with Eddie Willers.

Suicides can be morally justified.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3xYN59vclo

Edited by intellectualammo

• 1 month later...

Why didn't she just leave her husband? Was the act justified?

You must also keep in context that Atlas Shrugged was written in the late 1950's when divorce was not a trivial matter. It was legally and socially difficult--much more than we might imagine from our perspective today. Why else would Hank Reardon have such a hard time coming to the point of divorce?

Even so, from my standpoint her suicide was not justified nor is it justifiable. if her own life were the purpose of her life, JT's actions would have given her strength to move out on her own.