Objectivism Online Forum

Help me find what Peikoff said

Rate this topic

I'm pretty sure it was in a podcast of his. It was his comments on if he was no longer able to have sex, impotence, erectile dysfunction, and how he would not want to live without being able to have sex, do all kinds of things in order to continue to have a sex life, Something like that.

Edited by intellectualammo

They really mutated your original question. I only listened because I wanted to know what peikoff meant by 'one's sex permanently disappearing.'

Anyways, it made me wonder what Peikoff's opinion was about abstinence. In one podcast, a person asks if Frisco was abstinent while waiting for Dagny. Peikoff says yes, and that it was moral for him to do so. He says it would have been moral if Frisco stayed abstinent forever, realizing that Dagny would never be his- or he could keep looking for another match (move on).

Fun fact, about a third of the questions, including that one, answered on his podcast were submitted by me. It's a testament to my question asking prowess.

Funner fact: In the same podcast, Peikoff said that in an unpublished version of the Fountainhead, Roark had an affair before Dominique.

That last is true.  See the Journals.  She cut it because of wartime (i.e. price-control time) paper quotas.

D'Anconia and Roark aren't the only ones who do without sex for years at a time.  Dagny Taggart, so far as the reader knows, doesn't get any between the time Francisco breaks off with her and the time she starts up with Rearden - more than a decade.  Roark apparently does without not only before Dominique but for maybe ten years from the time she marries Keating to the time she comes to him at Monadnock.

Edited by Reidy

Mdegges, in one of Quentin Cordairs short stories, a billionaire goes for like 20years without. You'd have to look at them contextually to see why.

http://forum.objectivismonline.com/index.php?showtopic=23284&hl=+cordair++story#entry298676

Me personally, I'll be 34 next year, and have gone without being with a real woman for the better part of a decade. Not even a date. This is largely due to two factors: the moral character of those around me and their interests, and my own moral character and my own interests. It's mutually reinforcing.

Edited by intellectualammo