Objectivism Online Forum

Chazzy - New guy from Sin City, Nevada.

Rate this topic

Hello everyone here I'm Charlie Johnston age 62, and for the past 15 months have resided in Las Vegas, Nevada..but not by choice as much as happenstance and a broken down Ford Aerostar minivan 15 months ago in Beatty,NV. (Near Death Valley) That's another story.

I quit my electrical engineering profession in 2002 to hit the road and play Blues guitar  in Mississippi. My undeniable Heroic Passion & Adventure; I did do that for over 6 years. Fantastic time and a real eye-opener 'down south' in the so-called 'Bible-belt' There I also attended Bible college and became a gospel preacher. Interestingly to me, after much required curriculum there my studies actually led me to atheism and eventually to "Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology." That was 2 years ago as I traveled the western USA in that Ford.

I am so very pleased so far, with the caliber of discussion here at Objectivists Online. Have read Miss Rand's major non-fiction titles and re-read them as well numerous times. I have gifted strangers along the way with some as well.Currently doing an audiobook on 'Virtues of Selfishness' and also audiobook on 'For the New Intellectual' hope to get both in hard cover as well one day am positive I'll check these forums daily and will learn and grow as well as contribute according to my understanding and ability. 

Thank you and greetings from 'Sin City, Nevada - USA' +76F today March 22,2013.

I am a  Microsoft Flight Simulator X  NUT case. Sometimes better than meditation!

Hello Charles,

Sounds like you've been having some interesting times and adventures.   While I don't have any experience with Vegas I have spent several months (about 5 years a go) in Ely while working at the Robinson Copper Mine.   I found it to be a very cool, laid back little zone that I think you would also enjoy exploring.   Boy howdy, there's some interesting characters in that town.  There's also a great little venue for music there that I really enjoyed.   If your standing in front of the Hotel Nevada there's an Italian resturant/bar across the street to the left.  Friday and Saturday nights they always seemed to have a collection of very talented local musicans sitting in for very informal pick up sessions.   Heard a lot of  Blues flavored music there that I really enjoyed.  

A good road trip I'd highly recommend is to take Hwy 50  from Ely over to Fallon across the center of the State.   If you go to the front desk of the Hotel Nevada in Ely you can pick up a "trip ticket".   Then along the route in some of the small towns you go thru there's designated places (mostly taverns) that you can stop at and have this trip ticket stamped.   If I recall correctly there's about 6 small burgs you've got to get a stamp from.   Then when you've collected all your stamps you can throw it in the mail  to the State of Nevada's Tourism Office and they'll send you a certifcate proclaiming you to be a survivor of "The Lonliest Road in America" (you get a Hwy. 50 key fob out of the deal too).   Awesome (and also pretty surreal at times) scenery along the way.   Talk about splendid isolation, that road will give it to you in spades.   One thing I highly recommend for the trip is to take along some of your favorite pre recorded music.   When I did it all I had was the cars AM/FM radio and the only stations that would come in along the way were some serious hell fire and brimestone gospel gibberish.   If I ever get the chance to do it again I think I'll want something like the collected works of Warren Zevon along for listening to. 

Safe Travels.