Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivist Sexuality: Amber Pawlik's book

Rate this topic

intellectualammo

I took it that your reason to post is to establish 1) that sexuality is some degree a choice, which would lead to 2) homosexuality is an unfortunate choice that is nonetheless immoral. For the record, I agree with you about 1 and not 2, but 2 seems to be what you were trying to demonstrate without saying it. I take it that you would say masculinity or femininity would reflect essential traits of gender which correspond with "proper" sexuality.

I take it you have not read anything I wrote. My point is only about the view that everything an individual is and does is a consequence of his own choices. That every individual is self-made, and whatever he is at any moment is the sum of all his past choices, reasoning, and/or evasions and that is also the view that Rand clearly and explicitly taught.

I would never say, " masculinity or femininity would reflect essential traits of gender which correspond with 'proper' sexuality." I have no idea what that would mean.

That glove fits your rationalization of your anti-gay emotions.

Well, it's not my glove, it's Ayn Rand's. I'm glad to wear it.

I know you believe you are a mind-reader and know all about my emotions, but my gay friends would disagree with you--that is, they would if they should meet you, which is unlikely. I'd tell you why, but since you can read minds, I don't need to.

My point is only about the view that everything an individual is and does is a consequence of his own choices.

Using health stats to argue against homosexuality while saying homos go against man's nature is an additional point to saying homos are immoral because their psychology is a chosen, unnatural psychological abnormality rationalized by emotions based on false, chosen premises.

I take it you have not read anything I wrote. My point is only about the view that everything an individual is and does is a consequence of his own choices. That every individual is self-made, and whatever he is at any moment is the sum of all his past choices, reasoning, and/or evasions and that is also the view that Rand clearly and explicitly taught.

I'm not gonna parse this to show that you either don't realize how your own words relate to each other (that homosexuality being a choice is also a bad choice by your own reasoning) or that you are being straight up dishonest.

Why did you post on a thread about sexuality if you're not ultimately arguing for some view on sexuality and masculinity/femininity?

Why did you post on a thread about sexuality if you're not ultimately arguing for some view on sexuality and masculinity/femininity?

My interest in this thread is Amber Pawlik. I've known about her since her university days where she took a very unpopular stand about a woman's sense of decency and privacy. Since then she has demonstrated a sense of independence and courage I've admired, even though I often disgree with her specific views. It is refreshingly rare to discover someone who truly thinks for themselves and is willing to defend their position rationally and objectively without resorting to obfuscation, name-calling, and rhetoric..

I disagree, for example, with her use of the word sexuality, but still think her views are closer to Rand's than most of those on this thread.

Edited by Regi F.