Objectivism Online Forum

My life may be hopeless and I want to die

Rate this topic

I've been in pretty bad shape because my job prospects seem so abysmally bad that I just collapse in disgust every time I pull up Craigslist. I've been reading about the economic boom in ND and all the jobs that have grown up around the energy industry there; do you think it would be crazy or unnecessarily drastic to relocate in the hope of overcoming my barriers to employment? It's not my kind if place but at least it has a real economy.

Edited by jennipher

An assertive enough person can get a job anywhere. Granted, you're not feeling all that assertive right now, so maybe try a bit of the old "fake it till you make it." It works, great for when you're getting in your own way. Think of a job you could handle physically which will cover your bills -- make those the only two requirements for a while. Then act like you're a happy person who is on a great trajectory and the first, definitive step is to get that job. Try until you get it.

I've been in pretty bad shape because my job prospects seem so abysmally bad that I just collapse in disgust every time I pull up Craigslist. I've been reading about the economic boom in ND and all the jobs that have grown up around the energy industry there; do you think it would be crazy or unnecessarily drastic to relocate in the hope of overcoming my barriers to employment? It's not my kind if place but at least it has a real economy.

It's tough to advise a particular anonymous person about a decision like that. If one can earn and save significantly more in ND, then a stint there could be a good idea. OTOH, it makes more sense to be unemployed where you are than to end up unemployed in ND. 

I'm having a really hard time coming up with anything to put on a cover letter.

"

To Whom It May Concern:

I am applying for the Temporary File Clerk position advertised on craigslist. I’m seeking a temporary entry-level position that I can do while waiting to resume school later this year. I’ve carefully reviewed the job description, and I’m confident in my ability to competently perform all of the tasks stated therein

Attached is a brief resume for you to review. While I understand that my limited work experience is a strike against me, my awareness of this deficiency is motivation to prove my worth and ability. I want to show you that I am punctual, dependable, honest, affable and capable.

I would love to tell your more about myself and how I can be an asset to your company. Please contact me at your convenience if this would be a possibility."

That's all I really have to say about myself, and if I read that I would throw it in the trash.

You sound too smart in that letter to be a file clerk! It was well written and revealed that you would probably be over-qualified.

If it were me, I wouldn't say much other than "I'm a quick learner, I'm never late, I care about doing a good job, and I'm easy going." Unless they are explicitly hiring to train into another position, those are the only things entry level hirers really care about. It's almost more of trying to avoid pains in their ass than hiring "perfection."

If you can get your foot in the door and talk face to face, just be pleasant and happy to see them, and answer as simply as possible. Shooting out a bunch of information they didn't ask for or need to know is going to send up red flags that you are going to be someone they have to "deal with" about future things.

Basically, try to convey that you will be the easiest person they can find to fill the position.