Objectivism Online Forum

Dr.'s from private practice to prison

Rate this topic

I have been doing some research for a story I am writing, and this is an article from 2009, but still, I think it is certainly interesting to note:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/12/23/news/economy/healthcare_doctors_in_prison/

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- More doctors are dropping their private practices, choosing to go to work behind bars treating murderers, rapists and other hardened criminals.

Better pay, better hours, retirement benefits and free malpractice insurance are just a few of the reasons why physicians are picking prisoners over civilian patients.

"I never thought of correctional health care as a career. It wasn't even on my radar in [medical school] training," said Johnson, now a regional medical director for PHS.

At his private practice he had to cram in dozens of patients daily, sometimes for only five minutes, just to earn enough to cover his overhead expenses.

He was constantly filing insurance paperwork, and malpractice insurance was eating into his income

With correctional health care, Johnson has a steady paycheck of about $175,000 -- roughly 20% more than he made in private practice.

Just found a youtube on a doctor that went from Primary Care to Prison:

Edited by intellectualammo