Objectivism Online Forum

Voices from Poland

Rate this topic

kowalskil

A Book, entitled "How Polish People Helped Germans Murder Jews;" was published recently (January 2013) in Poland.

http://www.czarnaowca.pl/literatura_faktu/jak_polacy_niemcom_zydow_m,p720952114

I hope it will be translated into English. The author, Stefan Zgliczynski, is a journalist associated with the Polish version of Le Monde Diplomatique. His book generated many interesting comments on a Polish website:

http://www.polityka.pl/forum/1159278,jak-polacy-niemcom-zydow-mordowac-pomagali-recenzja-ksiazki.thread?addPost=true&parent_id=1160679#commentBox

The link below will take you to selected observations (translated by me).

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/xenophobia.html

Thay are worth reading and thinking about.

• 3 weeks later...

Very few nations didn't take part in Hitler's final solution..

what I fail to understand is the logic behind Antisemitism. Do people who propagate Antisemitism actually believe themselves? And how can humans inflict so much unthinking torture upon others? torture without reason , or logic, or sense or rationality.

this excerpt is from www.simpletoremember.com

Historians have classified six explanations as to why people hate the Jews:

1. Economic -- "We hate Jews because they possess too much wealth and power."
  2. Chosen People -- "We hate Jews because they arrogantly claim that they are the chosen people."
  3. Scapegoat -- "Jews are a convenient group to single out and blame for our troubles."
  4. Deicide -- "We hate Jews because they killed Jesus."
  5. Outsiders, -- "We hate Jews because they are different than us." (The dislike of the unlike.)
  6. Racial Theory -- "We hate Jews because they are an inferior race.
  7.  With the Enlightenment in the late 18th century, many Jews rushed to assimilate. Anti-Semitism should have stopped. Instead, for example, with the Nazis came the cry, in essence: "We hate you, not because you're different, but because you're trying to become like us! We cannot allow you to infect the Aryan race with your inferior genes."

​I read and re- read these statements. but not one of them makes sense. so how, how do millions of people still believe them? how did the nazis sell their idea among the germans and WHY did the germans not protest against them? Why didn't they just use their basic common sense to realise that what the nazis were propagating was plain and utter trash?

some historians believe that the nazis propagated anti semitism for political reasons? how so? how can a country's government derive satisfaction from mass scale extermination?  what was there end gain??????? 

and obviously, Nazism and the the set up of the extensive concentration camps could not have been possible without considerable support from the common population. so why was  antisemitism so pervasive among the masses?  

I'm familiar with this story. In Holland people didn't cooperate with Nazis and didn't initiate genocide. Anne Frank had been arrested by Germans. Dutch actually hided her.

It seems to be very unlikely that this whole information war against Poles and Poland is an accident or a coincidence.

There are lots of miss-truths or just historical lies made by journalists, made in newspapers, television and the whole are of that kind. Is it stupidity and ignorance or something else? I don’t know.

Reason of all this happening is not significant to the truth so I'll try make things straight as much as i can do with my knowledge.

Poland was the firs and the only one which guaranteed a lots of laws for Jews in

Statut Kaliski – law act signed by Bolesław Pobożny in 16 XX 1264 in Kalisz.

Later confirmed by Kazimierz Wielki in 1334 and again by Kazimierz Jagiellończyk in 1453 and Zygmunt Stary in 1539.

This act gave Jews freedom-rights like: personal freedom, Jewish courts, freedom of religion, freedom of trade, freedom of traveling.

Poland was the first one which refused Nazis and Hitlers requests:

In April 1939, Beck was in London to negotiate the terms of the British-Polish aid treaty. Beck famously voiced his refusal of German demands in a speech on May 5, 1939:

"Peace is a precious and a desirable thing. Our generation, bloodied in wars, certainly deserves peace. But peace, like almost all things of this world, has its price, a high but a measurable one. We in Poland do not know the concept of peace at any price. There is only one thing in the lives of men, nations and countries that is without price. That thing is honor."

(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B3zef_Beck)

I think how it touches the Jews is obvious and there is no need to explain more.

Poland as the only one of occupied countries had Żegota (official governments action) the Polish Council to Aid Jews.

more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BBegota

Most worth mentioning that only in Poland under the Nazi (German) occupation was the only country in which any kind of aid for Jews was punished by death sentence. Even that couldn’t stop polish people from saving and aiding Jews.

One of best proof lies there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Righteous_Among_the_Nations

Still so antysemitic ?

But after all why I said that it's strange that in media this course is so anti-poles oriented (not historical-truth oriented of course)?

I think the best answer is the speech given by Izrael Singer in 4th April 1996 at the World Jewish Congress.

More than three million Jews died in Poland and the Polish people are not going to be the heirs of the Polish Jews. We are never going to allow this.... They're gonna hear from us until Poland freezes over again. If Poland does not satisfy Jewish claims it will be publicly attacked and humiliated.”

(Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Singer)

That explains a lot in my opinion. For an example famous lie : “ Polish concentration camps “.

They were Nazis camps placed on polish ground under German occupation.

It's like saying that Guantanamo prison is Cuban.

You have to remember that they're in this world very cruel, anti-moral people which even on such tragic situation as holocaust - would want to make money. For an example if you write something shocking even it's not true at all - you'll get lots of attention and problably money.
And at the end polish is a very hard language to learn and translate so there is great barier in acquiring knowledge for foreigners (if you want to have some good knowledge in any brand of knowledge typically you would read few authors not only one - to compare, but still you have to know who they are and what they do, what are they motives)

I think that if you want to learn something about history of that time you should very carefully choose books and authors. I definitely not advise the above one and Gross.

@Madhavi - your lack of knowledge is terrifying.
You wont find a paper of any kind from that time saying that Jews or Poles, or other nations shall be killed in gas chambers. There was only sentence "final solution" and Jews or anybody else didnt know till the last seconds that they will be gased to death. They were oficially going to "work camps", they were sure that they're going to take a shower to get rid of insects and dirt. That explains no evidence of ressistance.

Im not a native speaker please forgive me for any errors, strange sentences, mistakes violating the gramatics - I'm still learning.

If something i've written is hard to understand please point it out and ill correct it with your help  - Thanks

Edited by CatPaw

First of all I'd like to point out, that this particular book promoted by kowalskil has been written by Stefan Zgliczynski who is a communist. He's also "associated with the Polish version of Le Monde Diplomatique", so let's see what kind of organisation this is:

I've opened their official polish website, and that's what I've seen on the top: okl.jpg

They aren't even trying to hide their sympathy to communism! (source: http://www.monde-diplomatique.pl/)

I'm going to write something more soon. Sorry if I made some grammar mistakes, I'm also polish.

Edited by ArekS

I've forgot to mention most important thing. There is no nation in that kind of thinking - crime cannot be made by nations, it can only be made by units. Morality applies to unit not to colective of any kind.

Edited by CatPaw