Objectivism Online Forum

government negotiation and supply and demand

Rate this topic

cab21

so when it comes to access to resources, I am wondering how the government will be able to get the resources it needs to function?

If part of the contract with government meant that government gets right of first refusal , priority on orders, and price options on all production and trade, is that fair enough, as there is no force, just voluntary acceptance of stipulations in a contact?

I don’t think a government could get into a bidding war with private industry, so government must have price controls( price options) set in the contract. Since the government gets product and resources at a cheaper price than private industry, there can be rules on how the government could sell government property, so that government could not buy and trade for a windfall.

A government also cannot wait to get orders and deliveries the way a private industry can, so a contract should include right to first refusal, and right to first priority on new orders.  This would need to be balanced with a way to determine so the government does not order too much or too quickly.

I do have a hard time figuring out how supply and demand works when government is involved, but I do think a government to serve its purpose would need advantages in contracts over private market forces.

for some things, government pays more, for some less.

i would think government paying less is something that helps prevent political pull.

i think some of the areas i have seen government pay more are unions and when government employees had private investment in a company, so it's easy to pay more when you have private interest and you are not using your own money.

a voluntary funded government would be working on a different system than current ones funded by taxes, so that would perhaps give less room for government to make conflict of interest purchases that give a windfall to a private business with people in and out of government.