Objectivism Online Forum

Name for a 2ft. wharf RR interchanging w. Taggart Transcontinental

Rate this topic

Greetings,

While working on my Taggart Transcontinental passenger operation, I also continued work on another part of my model railroad which will share dual gauge track with and interchange with Taggart Transcontinental.

Specifically, I’ve (also) been working on a 2 foot gauge (really 22.67 inch gauge, but who’s counting) operation that will run out onto fishing wharfs to re-supply and off-load fishing vessels, and bring their catch to a cannery.  This line will also share track with the Taggart Transcontinental for a short distance as dual gauge (3 rails, with the narrow gauge and standard gauge sharing one rail).  Also, Taggart Transcontinental will be one of the railroads picking up the cannery’s finished product.

While I have yet to start the model of the cannery itself, I’ve finished building (but have not painted) the first of what will eventually be 3-4 engines which will serve it.

I’m just trying to come up with a name for this shortline operation, which would be owned by and named for the cannery it’s supporting, and was hoping to come up with something with an Objectivist twist.  Unfortunately, I can’t think of any fishing/canning operations in either Atlas or Fountainhead.  I already intend to build a Danneskjold Marine Salvage (remember, 150 years ago, most marine salvage operations were fronts for piracy) tug to tie up along the pier, so that name’s already slated for use.

All ideas are appreciated.

Jeff

By the way, since I’m a fan of ‘Whale Wars’ (who cheers for the hard working fishermen), I’m thinking about creating a branchline which will head to an adjacent pier located just inside an Inuit reservation, where the Inuit are processing whale, among other seafood, and sending the meat to the cannery for further processing and packing.

How about the "Paul Watson Memorial Whale Rendering, Seal Packing and Porpoise Pickling Plant"?    If that's to wordy for you how about just the "Sea Shepard Cannery".  

Or maybe instead of a cannery you could  have the "Wyatt Whale Oil Refinery" with a siding full of tanker cars.    As far as a back story goes Ragnar could have captured both the Steve Irwin and the Bob Barker and beached them next to where the facility was built so they could be broken up for recycling thru a steel mill Hank Rearden would set up to produce the piping and structural shapes necessary to build it.   

I've watched a few episodes of Whale Wars and like you I always rooted for the fisherman.   Oh man, if I was Captain of one of those Japanese boats I don't think I'd have been able to resist the urge to open up with a 50 cal. and start punching holes (at the water line) in the hulls of the Bob Barker and Steve Irwin when ever they tried to come along side. 

If any kind of credit needs to be given for "saving the whales" most of it probably needs to go to John D. Rockefeller and Standard Oil.

AbA,

That’s an awesome idea.

Unfortunately, people wouldn’t understand the joke until I extended the line into the reservation, but since the reservation module will abut the wharf module, so it shouldn’t take me that long to get to it.

I actually liked the Inuit whaling operation I saw because of how small and efficient it was, and therefore easy to fit on a small module.  Specifically, three Inuit went to sea in a small (approx. 20ft.) open top aluminum boat with a rifle or shotgun loaded with a harpoon.

Once they harvested the whale, other people set out in all manner of small boats to tow the whale back to shore.  At the shoreline, the rope that had been used to tow the whale in to shore was run through a multi-pulley block and tackle system, that was secured to spikes that had been nailed into the ice, and a tractor was used to pull the whale onto the ice, where it was butchered manually.

I could re-create all of this within a 1ftX2ft section of a 4ft.X2ft (standard) module-leaving the rest of the module for other intresting detail.