Objectivism Online Forum

When people make noises with their mouth

Rate this topic

I just went to a theater workshop on expression. It was basically a safe environment to experiment with different voices, new body movements and expression of words, ideas etc. E.g. Someone throws you the word lion and you must embody that and act it out in front of everyone and then receive feedback.

There is some parts of this that I really enjoy, both in the activities and the people at these workshops, BUT I do find very frequently these people are so far off from wanting to actually communicate properly that it's frustrating.

It's not uncommon for them to make, what seems to me, just noises with their mouth as opposed to say anything useful.

E.g. in discussion:

"There is no humanity, there is no such thing as gender, there is no identity". WTF.

"I'm trying to be okay with knowing and not knowing at the same time"

"You emanate energy, but I didn't feel that energy"

"It's all in flow - everything is in flow ad we are trying to be okay with that flow"

Sometimes this may be in the context of a performance and then I may *think* I understand - but the words are all messed up and make no sense - so I'm just guessing.

So what is going on here? Are these people trying to convey an emotion? a memory? Why do they say this?  What the hell is going on in their heads?

Edited by LoBagola

Those are interesting examples, but without the context of the discussion it's kind of hard to relate to. Is there some sort of structure in this 'discussion'? - ie: when the person said "There is no humanity, there is no such thing as gender, there is no identity" was he responding to a specific topic, saying whatever was on his mind, or something else entirely?

Edited by mdegges

"There is no humanity, there is no such thing as gender, there is no identity". WTF.

"I'm trying to be okay with knowing and not knowing at the same time"

"You emanate energy, but I didn't feel that energy"

"It's all in flow - everything is in flow ad we are trying to be okay with that flow"

I think this is the Universe telling you that you need to work on your House impersonation. Not only are these people the perfect subjects for sarcastic derision, but you're at a freaking acting workshop. So it can't even be held against you.