Objectivism Online Forum

Where to get feedback on writing?

Rate this topic

I'm trying to improve my ability to articulate through my ability to write. I find writing my thoughts down often allows me to express them, and even some semi-related thoughts in a much more eloquent and appealing way. 

I plan on writing about Objectivist concepts, logic, descriptions of scenes/rooms and my own thought processes in my own words but I'd like to know where I could get some feedback when I do so. I expect to pay for it I just don't know where to go apart from university (which I don't think is worth it). I've seen some online communities like scribophile. Are there others? What about one's for Objectivist concepts? Could I potentially find a tutor for Objectivist writing? 

I've also thought about joining the ARI's OAC but I don't think I'm ready right now (Don't know enough and really bad at writing essays). 

The purpose of all this is:

1. To improve my own thought process 

When I'm better able to articulate a scene / concept I think I can understand it better and also retain more of that knowledge. Sometimes I think I get a concept but I feel like I'm missing some words to explain it and consequently I will forget about why I understood it later. Sort of like.... if I'm in a room and I describe it in a way which paints the room to a reader's mind (the lighting, the mood, the feel) I myself can recall it much better than if I can't describe it apart from naming off a few objects in the room.

2. to articulate and thus to communicate better with other people 

Edited by LoBagola

While this won't provide feedback on your writing directly, Objective Communication might be one ARI course of interest to you.

Writing your thoughts down, reviewing them for clarity and/or errors can be a process of "editing your thoughts".

Reviewing the responses you receive from your questions with internal questions of your own such as:

Did I get a clear answer to my question - i.e. did I frame my question clearly.

if I did not,

Was it the question that I asked? How can I ask it differently?

• 2 weeks later...