Objectivism Online Forum

the theme of the story

Rate this topic

Amit

A piece of art is saying "This is life, and this is how I see it".

As Ayn Rand said, you don't have to agree with the artist's metaphysical value judgements in order to evaluate his work as good art.

However, let's say that you recognize in a movie the theme that Altruism leads to happiness. if you don't agree with this theme, you will unavoidably find inconsistencies in the plot itself.

So how can you evaluate the theme of a movie as wrong and still evaluate it as a good art? Where does metaphysical judgement stops and esthetic judgement begins? 

Why would it be a good example? Rand point was that sheer enjoyment of a work isn't a tool for evaluating it, because the enjoyment depends on your subconcious values. I am looking for a method for evaluating films objectively, both estheticly and metaphysicaly. 

Why would it be a good example? Rand point was that sheer enjoyment of a work isn't a tool for evaluating it, because the enjoyment depends on your subconcious values. I am looking for a method for evaluating films objectively, both estheticly and metaphysicaly. 

To state my post differently, if you're looking for a method to evaluate films, start with actual films. To be able to make the thinking real, it ought to be films you have actually seen. As an example, you might choose "Les Miserables", starring Gerard Depardieu, or perhaps "Gandhi" with Ben Kingsley or "Gran Torino" with Clint Eastwood. Choose some that had enough altruistic elements. Among those, choose one or two that you thought were well-made movies. If you actually liked them, even better. Then, with those one or two examples in front of you, ask yourself: "why do I think this movie is good?".

Edited by softwareNerd

I see where was my mistake. Naturally if i think the theme is inconsistent I will see the plot as inconsistent, but it still is a metaphysical and not aethetical judgement.

But just for the fun of it, a movie which i don't agree with but think is good: Se7en (SPOILER) with it's ending when Somerset tells mills that if he kills Doe, Doe will win. (since he will get what he wants, which is punishment for the sinners.) But he wins anyway, since they are judging his according to the christian morality and not theirs. 

However this scene is really intensive and done brilliantly.

Edited by Amit