Objectivism Online Forum

Reason and logic

Rate this topic

(BTW, in two weeks expect: ancientathensonline.com.  No site is up at present.)

Reason is the faculty of men to establish Truth by means of Thought.

In relation to logic. :)

To start:

Deduction.

Deduction is the application of a general truth to a particular instance.

For example:

All cities are big.
Paris is a city.
Therefore: Paris is big.

Make sense? :)

So?  This is quite basic stuff, hardly the place to begin. But one example doesn't demonstrate a general statement.  And why only 'men'? How and why do you get to start with deduction?  Your example doesn't demonstrate your "general truth."  Not all cities are big.

Edited by A is A

I find the strange capitalization of Truth and Thought to be ominous.  Those are not proper nouns, but you seem to want to treat them as if you were referring to the platonic ideal versions of truth and thought.

Are you suggesting that we need a concept of "truth" before we can form a concept of "reason"?

What antecedent knowledge do we need before we can have a concept of logic?  I know that at some point I must have distinguished conclusion from perception.  I think that distinction would have been necessary because of a concept of error.  But I'm not sure what else was needed. 

(BTW, in two weeks expect: ancientathensonline.com.  No site is up at present.)

Reason is the faculty of men to establish Truth by means of Thought.

In relation to logic. :)

To start:

Deduction.

Deduction is the application of a general truth to a particular instance.

For example:

All cities are big.
Paris is a city.
Therefore: Paris is big.

Make sense? :)

Most of this thread confuses the accuracy of an argument's premises with the technical correctness of its deduction.  The second is typically logic's business; the first typically is not.

Edited by Reidy

This board claims to be concerned with Ayn Rand's Objectivism, a philosophy (not by any means complete) of Reason.  I've now registered my own board relating to the philosophy.  Don't even _think_ of registering there unless you're willing to think: ancientathensonline.com.  Expect it within a month.  Be well. :) :;! :)

This board claims to be concerned with Ayn Rand's Objectivism, a philosophy (not by any means complete) of Reason.  I've now registered my own board relating to the philosophy.  Don't even _think_ of registering there unless you're willing to think: ancientathensonline.com.  Expect it within a month.  Be well. :) :;! :)

Hmmm.  You start a thread that makes no sense, then assert that Objectivism is in an incomplete philosophy of "Reason".  Then imply that we don't think here, but we can join your board if we are willing to think.  Not to mention that you don't address or respond to comments by other posters.  One has to wonder about Truth, Thought, and Reason.  I don't think very much more discussion is required here.