Objectivism Online Forum

Rand's Use Of Greek Mythology In Her Works

Rate this topic

Have any of you taken a survey of all the many references to Greek mythology that is in Rand's fiction?

I have some.  I actually think of Anthem and Atlas Shrugged as elaborate recontextualizations of Greek mythology.

For example, from AS:

They said Atlantis was a place where hero-spirits lived in a happiness unknown to the rest of the earth. A place which only the spirits of heroes could enter, and they reached it without dying, because they carried the secret of life within them.

I wanted to start a thread  on all the various ways in which Rand uses Greek mythology in her fictional works.  

• 3 weeks later...

Lesser know reference to Greek gods and Apollo from We The Living:

"The tutors, and the servants, and the guests looked at Leo as they looked at the statue of Apollo in the Admiral' s study, with the same reverent hopelessness they felt for the white marble of a distant age." P.121-22.

Kira: "His body was white as marble and as hard and straight; the body of a god"

"She climbed to the pedestals of statues in the parks to kiss the cold lips of Greek gods