Objectivism Online Forum

Akston Quote

Rate this topic

By doing nothing, you have chosen one of the options.

I don't see it as "not choosing is also a choice". It just says one can't avoid the need to make choices in order to exist. You *have* to choose in order to eat and gather food, or act at all. Doing nothing requires no thinking, so it's not even a choice any more than a tree chooses to photosynthesize. However, unlike a tree, not choosing or acting passively will lead inevitably to your demise.

Fair. But I think we are in agreement in substance. Maybe it's more correct to say that what AR meant by that character's quote is that there is a need to make a choice, and if you don't make a choice you will face the consequences of the non-choice. Which is what you basically said. And I agree with that. 

Edited by secondhander

I don't see it as "not choosing is also a choice". It just says one can't avoid the need to make choices in order to exist. You *have* to choose in order to eat and gather food, or act at all. Doing nothing requires no thinking, so it's not even a choice any more than a tree chooses to photosynthesize. However, unlike a tree, not choosing or acting passively will lead inevitably to your demise.

In a literal sense, a conscious human being actually cannot refuse to make a choice. Doing nothing is a choice, as it is derived from the process of not focusing on productive activity, or possibly focusing on not engaging in productive activity.

Whichever way is the correct way to parse it, I think the takeaway is that inaction is not neutral for a human (it is for a plant). The way I apply it to my life is to remind myself that there is no such thing as a morally neutral moment of time spent or decision made.

Edited by secondhander