Objectivism Online Forum

Where Do Our Non-US Members Live?

Rate this topic

Non US members: On which continent do you currently live?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Non US members: On which continent do you currently live?

• Canada, Mexico
    • South America
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • Africa
    • Oceania
    • Other

I'd like to know how the forum members are distributed throughout the globe. Observe that I divided the countries into mainly cultural-geographical divisions. They're as accurate as my very limited knowledge of many foreign countries can make it, so if you believe that a better categorization can be made of some countries, please let me know.

[Moderator's note: As pointed out by jrs, something has gone awry with this poll. The first choice used to be "USA". Now, it is gone from the poll. I have therefore changed the poll-question to ask about non-US members. -sNerd]

Edited by softwareNerd

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to know how the forum members are distributed throughout the globe.  Observe that I divided the countries into mainly cultural-geographical divisions.  They're as accurate as my very limited knowledge of many foreign countries can make it, so if you believe that a better categorization can be made of some countries, please let me know.

I don't, however, know where Greece belongs?

Most probably it's Southern Europe but you should tell me before i reply.

Why not simply divide into the main continents? The way you did is not accurate at all; in example, I live in Brazil: not south europe nor spanish america (I chose this option, though), as Brazil colonization was carried out by the portuguese.

That's my opinion: use the common geographical division. Maybe separate the USA, as the majority is from there.

Why not simply divide into the main continents? The way you did is not accurate at all; in example, I live in Brazil: not south europe nor spanish america (I chose this option, though), as Brazil colonization was carried out by the portuguese.

That's my opinion: use the common geographical division. Maybe separate the USA, as the majority is from there.

In the categories above Brazil would be included with South Europe and Spanish America.

I chose to classify the countries CULTURALLY as well as GEOGRAPHICALLY, which is why Spain, Portugal and Italy are classified along with Central and South American countries.

As I disclaimed: my knowledge of foreign countries is not thorough or completely accurate, especially with respect to Asia, South and Central America, Africa and the Middle East.

And yes I did make the USA a class on its own for that reason.

No, I chose not to divide by continents because I thought that would be too broad, espcially with Asia.

----

To eldiego:

I classified Greece with Eastern Europe. I apologize if that is inaccurate culturally.

----

Now that you guys have revealed the confusion on the categories, perhaps I should ask a moderator or administrator to edit the poll to the following (if possible):

1) USA

2) North America (excluding USA)

3) South America

4) Europe

5) Asia

6) Africa

7) Australia

8) Other

You forgot Austria. Greece could be South Europe or Balkan. Balkan = Greece, Albania and all the former republics of Yougoslavia. For Europe + Medditerranean you didn't mention Cyprus and Malta.

Don't they have decent world-maps in the USA? For your poll you should decide how to chop up the world. Geographically or culturally. Geographically you should use the proper denominations like Western, Central and East European, Central, South, North Africa, above or below the Sahara etc. For cultures you should refer to language families: germanic, anglo-saxon, latin (= Spanish, French, Portugese), arab, ...

You forgot Austria. Greece could be South Europe or Balkan. Balkan = Greece, Albania and all the former republics of Yougoslavia. For Europe + Medditerranean you didn't mention Cyprus and Malta.

Don't they have decent world-maps in the USA? For your poll you should decide how to chop up the world. Geographically or culturally. Geographically you should use the proper denominations like Western, Central and East European, Central, South, North Africa, above or below the Sahara etc. For cultures you should refer to language families: germanic, anglo-saxon, latin (= Spanish, French, Portugese), arab, ...

No, I didn't bother to look at a world map, but I assure you we have high-quality world maps in printed and electronic forms here! :P I made this poll rather hastilly and recalled the countries from the top of my head (not from a map). Let me contact a moderator or administrator...

[edited]

since I don't know who is capable of changing the poll, I'll just request from this post any moderator/administrator who can, change the poll above to the following to avoid the confusion of the original categories:

1) USA

2) North America (excluding USA)

3) South America

4) Europe

5) Asia

6) Africa

7) Australia

8) Other

I'm surprised there are no responses from Australia and Asia (India). I know we do have some Canadians here.

This poll is very recent (started last night)--so only a very small fraction of the main posters have participated. I've also noticed that most foreigners, except Europeans and Canadians, tend to be less active in these forums than Americans. Perhaps it's the limited Internet access or busy lifestyle--I'm not sure.

*bump*

--need more than just 53 votes!  :D

You have to figure, though, the vast majority of "members" have only been here once and never came back or don't come on here anymore. I'd say 53 is probably an accurate representation of the regulars on the board.

• 7 months later...

Even though I am in the US six months of every year, I voted Asia because that's where my actual home is. I'm from India, and I know for sure I'm not the only Asian in this forum (mine is the only vote so far for Asia). I guess the others are too busy working insanely late hours for their respective US clients :dough: I know I am and it's a wonder I manage to find time to browse this forum.

I'm surprised there are no responses from Australia and Asia (India).

Here I am... This is me....:-)

I observe the 3votes for Asia(including mine) are from India, and each one of us has replied in this thread. To conclude, Objectivism is far more popular in India than in the other Asian countries.

I am from Sri Lanka. I had lived in India for a few years and I don't think I would have discovered Objectivism if it weren't for that. I just wouldn't have encountered it. I have never seen any of Ayn Rand's books in bookshops here in Sri Lanka but they were always available in many bookshops in Bangalore.

The problem with any poll of this sort is that no-one is satisfied. As an Englishman, I am not entirely comfortable with being classified with either the rest of Europe or the rest of the Western Commonwealth countries. So, whoever got this poll started - you may not have been spot-on with the geographies - but at least you got a ball rolling.

For the record - I think it should just be the simple geographic distinctions.

Here I am... This is me....:-)

I observe the 3votes for Asia(including mine) are from India, and each one of us has replied in this thread. To conclude, Objectivism is far more popular in India than in the other Asian countries.

Nice signature :nerd:

So, you work 6 month straight in the US, and then 6 months back in India, and do that year after year?

Yup, pretty much. Well, not exactly - it differs from year to year. Some years I am in the US 8 months of the year, some years it's 3 months, and some years I just don't go back to India at all. My previous US stint was the longest - I worked in Minneapolis from Oct 2003 to Nov 2004, then worked in India from Nov 2004 to Feb 2005, and now I am back in Minneapolis since Feb of this year (and will probably be here till Mar 2006). What dictates the durations of my US stay is the requirements that my company has for keeping me here to service a client on-site.

There are five votes for Asia so far. I count me, Prometheus, Indobj and Shakthig. Would voter no. 5 come forward please? :)

Edited by manavmehta