Objectivism Online Forum

Seeking book recommendation

Rate this topic

Alon

I would appreciate any book recommendation on the subject of ancient Greek philosophy with a critical and objective eye. There are many books on the subject and reading through them and the reviews on Amazon is too tedious a task to discover the bias of the author.

I would appreciate any book recommendation on the subject of ancient Greek philosophy with a critical and objective eye.  There are many books on the subject and reading through them and the reviews on Amazon is too tedious a task to discover the bias of the author.

While not in (full) agreement with Objectivism, I found Anthony Gottlieb's The Dream of Reason a very readable history of philosophy.

Then, if you can afford it, buy Dr. Peikoff's course on the history of philosophy. This is the best gateway into the subject for someone who has some knowledge of Objectivism.

Between these two, you should be able to get a good overview of the main issues. As you go on, you'll find yourself more able to grasp (if you don't already) the more technical analyses (such as Aquinas' commentary on Aristotle's Metaphysics, etc.).

Also, visit bookstores, new and old, and browse the shelves. You might come across interesting but little-known work like this one.

I would appreciate any book recommendation on the subject of ancient Greek philosophy with a critical and objective eye.

What is your purpose in reading such a book?

With that in mind, your audience can make better recommendations.

In general, I would recommend Vol. I, The Classical Mind, in the series A History of Western Philosophy, second (or latest) edition, by W. T. Jones.

Jones provides: historical background, focus on thematic questions that bothered philosophers generally, big excerpts from the philosophers themselves (so you can read for yourself what they said), and his own analysis. He deals with the major philosophers in chronological order.

Edited by BurgessLau