Objectivism Online Forum

Post Modern Music

Rate this topic

abott1776

I am talking about post modern in the sense of after the modern period (most people call classical). Today's music, from rock n roll to hip hop. Is there something wrong if you enjoy certain songs from our era, even stupid silly songs. I enjoy listening to blink182 sometimes, or the cure "friday I'm in love" type stuff. I am guessing that if you brought up listening to it on the radio and such, it is just subconsciously evaluated as the standard of what is good. I rarely can enjoy listening to classical music, music from an era of the mind. Is that something that needs to be re-evaluated?

On a side note, have you heard this song on the radio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Q7GISatW0&list=PL110F08EF4A91A039

That is a link to a playlist I made on youtube, the song is in the playlist.

"Clarity", I always seem to like keeping it on the radio when I hear it. It reminds me of what this disintegrative culture thinks of as romantic (in the sense of the aesthetic). What do you think?

Edited by abott1776

I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying anything unless you can show it's doing you harm. Also, aesthetic preferences can't be changed immediately, and it's arguable that they can be changed at all, ever, past a certain point, depending on certain factors like age and personality -- basically everything about you.

When people say that classical music is "better," I want to know what that means. Does it make you feel better? Does Bach's mathematical organ piece leave you indifferent, even though it's novel and impressive? Do you prefer instead a less precise, more ethereal type of music, such as something by Sigur Ros? If so, which music is better? Just as Sigur Ros probably couldn't compose mathematical music, could Bach have created the beautiful sounds of Sigur Ros?

I agree with JASKN. It is a matter of preference, and I think the music that one is exposed to from early-life's experiences, perhaps to early adolescence, is that which has the greatest influence on one's perception of the value of music. Ayn Rand had a strong appeal for ragtime, hardly sophisticated music, although somewhat more complex than 1950s rock'n'roll. One can always learn to appreciate other forms of music or culture. I was not exposed to much jazz in my youth, but I now have a great fondness for progressive jazz, as well as other popular recordings from past decades of the 20th Century, and symphonic/instrumental music from previous centuries. I will always have the highest regard for the music of my youth, but it is worth while to explore music that has survived the test of time.

As a corollary to this statement, often the "new" music one hears later in life is not quite as acceptable, because of the circumstances one associates with them. Some people dismiss "that music", (what ever they find annoying), because the music is associated with a specific culture. Example: Reggae music and its association with pot-smoking.

It i sabout what you get out of it.

Most people consider heavy metal noise.  I think it's the sound of the industrial revolution. 

Then again my name here is a play on Objectivist Epistomology and a Black Sabath song so take that as it may...

Bottom line it play it if you like it but know why you like it.  Heck, some songs do nothng more than express fun or joy, but that is a value too and needed at times. 

What qualifies as a "stupid, silly" song, and what would be wrong with that? Not all music has the type of depth to be artistic genius or a profound emotional statement. I have Lady Gaga as my avatar because I appreciate her music as entertainment, and I like sense of life I think is expressed. That doesn't detract from the value in the music, plus it's not anything that ignores or rebels against understanding. That's compared to an album Lou Reed made once which was literally noise. He wanted to make a statement against record companies, but you get the idea.

Blink 182 is at least one brand of punk, which is more about attitude than deep messages. I couldn't even say it signifies anything negative about you. The Cure is related to punk too, but closer to postpunk, and goth early on. They've got a range of emotional depth, on top of "fun" songs like "Boys Don't Cry" or "Friday I'm In Love". Personally, I disliked Blink 182 a lot in high school, while now I like a handful of their stuff. And I only really got into The Cure three years ago. So, for my case it's not all habit or just believing my child mind has primacy. That would be Freudian, like asking "do I like this music because my mom potty trained me poorly and now I won't listen to what authority deems good music?!" Again, I see no reason to say your tastes signify anything besides your music preferences.

Edited by Eiuol