Objectivism Online Forum

Paid Oist tutor / forums

Rate this topic

LoBagola

Is there anywhere I can get access to forums where I'm guaranteed replies by someone who's studied Objectivism extensively? Paid forums? Paid teachers?

I'm working through an enormous amount of material myself but I think I'd save myself time and money (in the long run) if I paid someone to help me now. So I'm willing to do that.

Suggestions?

You could also check out the ARI's Objectivist Academic Center (OAC), though it is surely more structured than a tutor.

http://www.aynrand.org/~/media/pdf/oac.ashx

From their site:

Designed for those who want to fast-track the process of digesting and understanding Ayn Rand’s radical and thought-provoking ideas, the OAC offers both introductory and advanced training. The OAC curriculum is designed and taught by instructors who are aware of the common errors, confusions and questions that come up in one’s mind as one is learning the material.

[...]

Students who are seriously considering careers in such fields as economics, history, psychology, philosophy, literature, journalism, policy analysis, and so on, are welcome to apply.

[...]

The OAC is a distance learning program intended to supplement, not replace, a standard college education. There is no charge for either the one-year introductory Core Course or the Advanced Education Program.

Edited by JASKN
iPad link issues

Cudo's JASKN. I thought about this after I posted: A tutor can tailor the approach to the individual. The lectures just provide vast amounts of information about the topic to assimilate, without being tailored to a specific inquiry.

What I find helpful about the audio material is hearing this stuff being put together along different topics and highlighting the different principles involved when they arise. Even though the Principles of Grammar and Introduction to Logic were not "philosophic courses" per se, they still deal with knowledge and the processes of thought required to achieve greater precision of clarity.

Once you have much of the material under your belt you should definitely check out Understanding Objectivism by Leonard Peifoff.  It describes some very good techniques for chewing, integrating, and very importantly keeping your concepts grounded in reality, connected to concretes. 

In the end although a tutor may help, really understanding Objectivism is not like learning something, its more like unlearning everything else... and discovering what you really knew all along... I know this is not clear.

As an analogy, a tutor of Objectivism would function more like a Personal Trainer.  He helps you work on what you need, but he cant "teach you your muscles", or tell "you your fitness", you have to do the work, the lifting and the running.  It's like that with Objectivism, you have to independently think it through, independently do the chewing, independently do the integrating, the vigilant avoidance of rationalism, mysticism, empiricism, skepticism.

In a very real sense, if one is simply "told" Objectivism, one may be able to "repeat" it.  But in order to understand it and to live it... that is a completely different thing....

but YES I agree that a tutor could be very helpful!!

And I was thinking for my writing I could work on writing short-story or descriptive pieces (unrelated to Oism) and just pay a tutor to mark them and give me input.

I just ordered Writing and Thinking and Diagramming sentences to help me work through Peikoff's grammar course too.

Edited by LoBagola