Objectivism Online Forum

Using the "Like" button.

Rate this topic

Hairnet

I was attempting to like a post by Softwarenerd and it told me that i had reached by maximum quota for positive votes for today. I haven't liked anyone's post today so that doesn't seem right. 

Its not a big deal I just thought I would let you guys know. 

Turns out the feature was turned off for some user groups. I've enabled it, so please test it by liking something I've posted :) and post again if it does not work.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Edited by softwareNerd

Thanks Hairnet. I thought it a bit strange when I got the same message this morning.

softwareNerd, as much as I 'Like this' feature being fixed - they are limited in supply, and must be allocated accordingly.

Edited by dream_weaver

No sir. I've hit the limit on some occasions, but in upon discovering that,  the policy encourages discretion in using them, preventing discouraging it from being used indiscriminately.

Edited: Formerly, revised.

Edited by dream_weaver

No sir. I've hit the limit on some occasions, but in upon discovering that,  the policy encourages discretion in using them, preventing discouraging it from being used indiscriminately.

Yes, that was the original idea.

If I remember it right, when we first introduced it, lots of posts were being voted up or down, not so much on the quality of the post but on whether one was on the person's 'side' in the argument, or against it. A few hapless newbies were "welcomed" by negative ratings... mostly for being hapless newbies :)

I think the best way to use the feature is to up-vote a few posts, and base it on the quality of the post -- is it cogent, does it add something new, etc. -- rather than on whether one agrees with it.

Looking at the exchange here - Hairnet mentioned this anomaly, mentioning it was one of your posts he tried to utilize the feature on.

On your reply: You needed to get right on it. :) (i.e. you missed a "Like this" opportunity.)

My comment, had an undertone in my mind of: Gee, I'd like to give you a "Like this" for remedying this, but since they are in short supply, and you are just "doing your job" . . .

I do thank you for the "Not sure what you mean." as this gives me pause to reflect on what I said, and contrast it with how it was taken. (In this case, containing an implicit notion that did not get presented adequately in the post.)

PS.) The "Like this" button is working again.

Edited by dream_weaver

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.