Objectivism Online Forum

Which society in the world is most rational?

Rate this topic

Peter Morris

As a general rule, the more westernized a culture, the more widespread the idea that one has to focus on the real world and deal with it by thinking about it and making connections, rather than by mystical placation of deities. One can try to drill down, for instance by asking "Are people on average more rational or mystical in Norway, compared to Poland", but doing so usually involves a deceptive aggregation that really cannot be done with any degree of accuracy.

Also, it does not follow that one can get the most value living in the countries with the "best average rationality". One lives in a country, but one also lives in a region, in a state, in a city, and ultimately within a sub-culture. One can live in a country where millions hold all sorts of mystical views, and yet one barely interacts with those people. One's sub-culture could be predominantly rational.

Edited by softwareNerd

As a general rule, the more westernized a culture, the more widespread the idea that one has to focus on the real world and deal with it by thinking about it and making connections, rather than by mystical placation of deities. One can try to drill down, for instance by asking "Are people on average more rational or mystical in Norway, compared to Poland", but doing so usually involves a deceptive aggregation that really cannot be done with any degree of accuracy.

Also, it does not follow that one can get the most value living in the countries with the "best average rationality". One lives in a country, but one also lives in a region, in a state, in a city, and ultimately within a sub-culture. One can live in a country where millions hold all sorts of mystical views, and yet one barely interacts with those people. One's sub-culture could be predominantly rational.

Fantastic points :)

At first level, too true: what is so - right at this moment. On the second, how is a country trending? Away from one particular political-social culture towards which other? Increasing/lessening Statism - or religionism? For instance, from my understanding from people who live there, Australia is moving to higher regulation and restriction of individual liberty. I cannot mention my country in the same breath, though!

The West has largely come off its once proud base, and has settled for security over freedom. It will take a long while to reverse this, I fear.

Nations emerging from ages of superstition into increasing rationality and economic growth seem the most exciting prospect. But these are all large-scale indicators. In the end, it's the mini-society one surrounds oneself with that counts.

At first level, too true: what is so - right at this moment. On the second, how is a country trending? Away from one particular political-social culture towards which other? Increasing/lessening Statism - or religionism? For instance, from my understanding from people who live there, Australia is moving to higher regulation and restriction of individual liberty. I cannot mention my country in the same breath, though!

The West has largely come off its once proud base, and has settled for security over freedom. It will take a long while to reverse this, I fear.

Nations emerging from ages of superstition into increasing rationality and economic growth seem the most exciting prospect. But these are all large-scale indicators. In the end, it's the mini-society one surrounds oneself with that counts.

Thank you for this response. Very awesome. I agree that countries like China (even Russia) are moving away from control while the West moves towards it.

Peter, you raise a somewhat frightening truth: Westernized nations are becoming less concerned of individual rights, while Eastern nations are more or less evolving toward rational, free market economic policies. This is not to say that Russia and/or China nurtures a culture of individualism, but they wish to arrive at a standard of living for their societies, while suppressing the full measure of personal liberty. The frightening aspect of this situation is that individual liberty for all people will dwindle until our posterity struggle with some form of despotic government reigning over all, regardless of what nation they choose to live. As I am not a determinist and wish to restrain this trend in my own country, I urge you and anyone concerned to be aware of the hazard caused by government within your own country. Obviously you are already aware and need no reminders. If you should choose to remain, or leave and return, to your home in Australia, I strongly urge you to speak out against irrational political trends regardless as to the popularity of such trends. So far as the present, we are still self-governing nations, but there are no guarantees that that will always be.

On the matter of where to go with an active and individualistic mind, perhaps the individual protection you are seeking is in the form of intellectual property rights. In the other thread you created, you stated your technological field of interest. I am not an expert in this field, but intellectual property rights will persist as a hot topic as technology continues to change. There are a number of threads on this topic found on this forum. As a rational person, may you prosper in all of your endeavors, and cast doubt on the irrational whenever possible.

Peter, you raise a somewhat frightening truth: Westernized nations are becoming less concerned of individual rights, while Eastern nations are more or less evolving toward rational, free market economic policies. This is not to say that Russia and/or China nurtures a culture of individualism, but they wish to arrive at a standard of living for their societies, while suppressing the full measure of personal liberty. The frightening aspect of this situation is that individual liberty for all people will dwindle until our posterity struggle with some form of despotic government reigning over all, regardless of what nation they choose to live. As I am not a determinist and wish to restrain this trend in my own country, I urge you and anyone concerned to be aware of the hazard caused by government within your own country. Obviously you are already aware and need no reminders. If you should choose to remain, or leave and return, to your home in Australia, I strongly urge you to speak out against irrational political trends regardless as to the popularity of such trends. So far as the present, we are still self-governing nations, but there are no guarantees that that will always be.

On the matter of where to go with an active and individualistic mind, perhaps the individual protection you are seeking is in the form of intellectual property rights. In the other thread you created, you stated your technological field of interest. I am not an expert in this field, but intellectual property rights will persist as a hot topic as technology continues to change. There are a number of threads on this topic found on this forum. As a rational person, may you prosper in all of your endeavors, and cast doubt on the irrational whenever possible.

Thank you. It is concerning when French citizens flee to Russia to escape imposing tax rates. Flat tax that is, 10% I believe. Not bad. Hell, France even has a wealth tax. You get taxed not on income but on wealth that is merely sitting in the bank.

I've been thinking about China's rise economically. They switched to market mechanisms out of practicality. Their overall philosophy and their culture is still very collectivist and duty based. Their entire mindset is different from the west. It's been said they lack creativity due to their stifling education, but that's probably merely a symptom of a greater cultural phenomenon. Ask people who stay in China. People are very influenced by confucianism, and very group-think orientated. That being said they are clearly going to continue to rise economically, and probably even move further towards free markets. What might happen is we will all meet in the center. Financially, China is in a good place. The money has moved to Asia. But I now think that philosophically and culturally China has little to offer the world.

On the issue of what I am to do as a career, I'm really uncertain. I want something I can be passionate about and throw myself fully into. Something that inspires me, challenges me and that has great potential.

Edited by Peter Morris