Objectivism Online Forum

Primacy of consciousness metaphysics in Elliot Rodger's essay.

Rate this topic

I recently read the Elliot Rodger's essay - "My Twisted World". I won't link to it or quote from it, because I don't want to popularize his ideas. But I do want to criticize it.

What struck me the most the is that Mr. Rodger believed that consciousness had primacy over existence.

His dad bought him the book - "The Secret" which is about something called "Law of Attraction" which is about how "wishing makes it so". Although he says he knew in the back of his mind, that the idea "wishing makes it so" is wrong, he wanted to believe in it.

He wished for everything he wanted like the book instructed, including winning a lottery to make him rich. Of course he did not win the lottery. And he was disappointed in the Universe for not granting him his wishes.

He also mentions the book - "The Power of the Subconscious Mind", which is yet another book like "The Secret" and is about how we can wish things to be the way we want it to be.

One of his unstated premises I can read between his lines, is that there is a mechanism which enforces a type of cosmic egalitarianism among all sentient beings. He feels this agency has been unjust towards him. And he feels jealousy and hatred towards people who have been benefited more due to luck than due to skill.

Another of his unstated premises is that the universe always rewards him for his commitment, sincere effort and suffering.

He sought too much approval from his friends, and there was no one to tell him he shouldn't seek sanctions and approvals from other people.

I think these ideas were dangerous, and to the degree he believed in them can create a huge disappointment, which can lead to a "revolution of rising expectations" like the one he experienced.

Perhaps there is also a bit of blame to be placed on "society" for making him think relationships are mandatory for everyone, and a right granted by the universe. Perhaps we should stop preaching to everyone, that everyone should have a girlfriend/boyfriend, and that everyone should be in a stable relationship. Perhaps it is normal to be single, and even lonely.