Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivism Through Induction Lecture

Rate this topic

Has anyone listened to this lecture? I need some opinions on how much this lecture has helped people in developing a better methodology for learning. I have just finished the Melody in Music lecture, and have realized these lectures may be well worth the money they cost (that one was at least, as I learned so much new material to apply towards my musical compositions).

I am a second year college student, who plans on attaining multiple degrees and attending graduate school. I currently make a decent amount of money, so I can spend whatever I want really on developing a good learning methodology now. My income will be changing dramatically less when I transfer schools next year, as I have to quit my job and start working part-time.

I want to buy up as much material as I can now while I have money. I also have a problem following through with financial goals, as I am very compulsive with my money. As I matter of fact, I don't even set long-term financial goals anymore because of my inability to save. This is one of the main areas of my life I need to develop a better grasp on, as I am excellent at strategic planning, but I am awful at actually implementing the plans when they involve money. This is another area I am looking to purchase lectures on. I am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for additional lectures on these subject matters. The other ones I have on my list so far are:

Setting Goals to Improve Your Life & Happiness Part 2

By Edwin A. Locke

http://www.aynrandbookstore2.com/store/pro...tem=18&mitem=24

Study Methods & Motivation (book)

By Edwin A. Locke

http://www.aynrandbookstore2.com/store/pro...tem=20&mitem=24

Induction In Physics and Philosophy (I will be studying neuroscience after I finish my music degree)

By Leonard Peikoff

http://www.aynrandbookstore2.com/store/pro...tem=38&mitem=39

Objectivity in Writing

By Robert W. Tracinski

http://www.aynrandbookstore2.com/store/pro...tem=10&mitem=12

I'm not familiar with any of the lectures you mentioned. However, the one I have been looking forward to getting and which is now in the mail, is How to Be an Impassioned Valuer by Andrew Bernstein. You may want to look into this one as well since you mentioned you had a hard time with long term goals.

Setting Goals to Improve Your Life & Happiness Part 2

By Edwin A. Locke

http://www.aynrandbookstore2.com/store/pro...tem=18&mitem=24

Study Methods & Motivation (book)

By Edwin A. Locke

http://www.aynrandbookstore2.com/store/pro...tem=20&mitem=24

Induction In Physics and Philosophy (I will be studying neuroscience after I finish my music degree)

By Leonard Peikoff

http://www.aynrandbookstore2.com/store/pro...tem=38&mitem=39

Objectivity in Writing

By Robert W. Tracinski

http://www.aynrandbookstore2.com/store/pro...tem=10&mitem=12

I have all of the above except for Study Methods & Motivation.

I would suggest you get Leonard Peikoff's Understanding Objectivism and Judging, Feeling, and Not Being Moralistic.

The main thing, in my experience, to remember when trying to break any bad habit is to "catch yourself" before or while you are committing it and to try to remember all the facts that are, and will be, affected by your behavior. And then, simultaneously, form a new habit that counters the bad one.

For instance, if you are overweight, but would like to stay fit and make love to beautiful women, then, each time you're about to gorge yourself, try to remember (some of) the uniting characteristic(s) of the men that beautiful women make love to (e.g., James Bond, Howard Roark, and Seal are all physically active men). Then, begin, say, to eat ONLY protein at night (after 6), subscribe to Men's Health, and take up the treadmill. Reading Ayn Rand while on the treadmill is a great motivation to go to the gym. As you start to see results, you'll find that you'll become more and more morally disgusted by binging.

If you're a big spender, begin to keep a record of all your weekly - or daily - transactions, even if you're still spending. After a while, you'll find that the facts of the case (in this case, your account balance and how quickly you cut through it) will become more and more real in your mind. Sooner or later, you'll begin to cut non-essential items out of your "budget." Also, observe that the most successful men in the world are usually the most financially disciplined. It is because money is a store of value, and these types of men are valuers.

The results are not immediate and can take quite some time and stamina. But, if you remember to assert consciousness inductively, the worst "demons" can be banished.

I have Objectivism through Induction. I highly recommend it, but it may not be what you think it is. It takes on fundamental epistemological questions, and guides you to the proper way of thinking, but it is not oriented towards making you a better student per se (other than the general benefits one gets from having a proper understanding of the theory of knowledge and of Objectivism).

I found it useful in building my own hierarchies of knowledge, and I happened to listen to these lectures right before taking a highly rationalistic course in Finance, and it helped me to identify the flaws in methodoloy of some theories presented to me.

I think it may also be a good antidote to the rationalism that young Objectivists often exhibit.

I'm not familiar with any of the lectures you mentioned. However, the one I have been looking forward to getting and which is now in the mail, is How to Be an Impassioned Valuer by Andrew Bernstein. You may want to look into this one as well since you mentioned you had a hard time with long term goals.

That definetely looks like a good one. I will put that on the list. Thanks!

If you're a big spender, begin to keep a record of all your weekly - or daily - transactions, even if you're still spending.  After a while, you'll find that the facts of the case (in this case, your account balance and how quickly you cut through it) will become more and more real in your mind.  Sooner or later, you'll begin to cut non-essential items out of your "budget."  Also, observe that the most successful men in the world are usually the most financially disciplined.  It is because money is a store of value, and these types of men are valuers.

The results are not immediate and can take quite some time and stamina.  But, if you remember to assert consciousness inductively, the worst "demons" can be banished.

This is very helpful, thank you. I have thought of doing something along these lines, but I never get past the first couple days. I think I will just start doing this in a notebook, and then try to eliminate the things I really don't need. I know that this is my greatest downfall that prevents me from saving money.

I have Objectivism through Induction. I highly recommend it, but it may not be what you think it is. It takes on fundamental epistemological questions, and guides you to the proper way of thinking, but it is not oriented towards making you a better student per se (other than the general benefits one gets from having a proper understanding of the theory of knowledge and of Objectivism).

I found it useful in building my own hierarchies of knowledge, and I happened to listen to these lectures right before taking a highly rationalistic course in Finance, and it helped me to identify the flaws in methodoloy of some theories presented to me.

I think it may also be a good antidote to the rationalism that young Objectivists often exhibit.

These are the main reasons I am looking to purchase it. Since I have only been in school for two years, and have several to go, and since I had been living on 22 years of bad philosophy, I feel I need to create a good mindframe to absorb, and intepret everything I have been learning. Before I discovered Objectivism I was into mysticism (Sufism, and Taoism mostly, but I picked up bits and pieces of irrational beliefs from many systems). I feel my methodology is severaly flawed, and I need to fix that problem before I take in any more flawed information. After reading your post, it seems that lecture is exactly what I am looking for.

Another one I was curious about, that is number 2 on my list now since I have found it, is The Art of Thinking, by Leonard Peikoff. Will this be better for me to go through before or after Objectivism Through Induction?

This is very helpful, thank you. I have thought of doing something along these lines, but I never get past the first couple days. I think I will just start doing this in a notebook, and then try to eliminate  the things I really don't need. I know that this is my greatest downfall that prevents me from saving money.

The pleasure is mine.

Also, remember to consider other options (i.e., to assert, co-opt or create new facts) in the matter.

For instance, do you cook? If not, take it up. You'd be marvellously and pleasantly surprised at how much you can save and how much you are missing.

Do you shop for bargains? Do you buy $120 shoes for $40? Used DVDs and CDs? Store brands rather than third-party?

Do you insist on taking dates to not-so-expensive but quality places? Or do you rely on winning them over through largesse?

In any case, I wish you the best.