Objectivism Online Forum

"Global Consciousness Project"?

Rate this topic

The Global Consciousness Project is an international, multidisciplinary collaboration of scientists and engineers. We collect data continuously from a global network of physical random number generators located in up to 70 host sites around the world at any given time. The data are transmitted to a central archive which now contains more than 15 years of random data in parallel sequences of synchronized 200-bit trials generated every second.

Our purpose is to examine subtle correlations that may reflect the presence and activity of consciousness in the world. We hypothesize that there will be structure in what should be random data, associated with major global events that engage our minds and hearts.

We literally now have universities funding projects which are based on mystical premises, in an attempt to use "science" to "prove" that prayer works.

I don't really know what to say, except that this is completely outrageous.

Here's the link, because I forgot to post it above:

http://noosphere.princeton.edu/

Finish reading it. At the bottom: "The Global Consciousness Project is directed by Roger Nelson from his home office in Princeton. The Institute of Noetic Sciences provides a logistical home for the GCP. It is not a project of Princeton University."

My mistake. I'm not sure why it's posted at under that URL, though, and it is still worrisome that we've come to this point, although not as bad as I thought at first.