Objectivism Online Forum

On Average How Much Time Do You Spend Per Week Studying Objectivism?

Rate this topic

dadmonson

Question is in the title...

I'm asking this because currently I study Objectivism whenever I feel like it but I'm thinking about making it a daily goal to study it as my progress in understanding the philosophy hasn't been to my liking. Sometimes I go 2 weeks without studying.

I don't know if that 10,000 hour theory is true but I do know that it is going to take a lifetime for me to get where I want to be at my current pace.

I really hate this 10,000 hour thing because so many people don't understand it. It's been misused all over the place that it's lost its meaning. 10,000 hours of deliberate practice was the time it took to reach absolute world-class mastery, as in a world class professional in some field, it wasn't for learning something well. You can learn a new skill and be good at it, without being the best in the world. You can learn to speak decent French in 500 hours of study. You can learn to play guitar in 1000 hours of study. You just won't be the best in the world.

Anyway, studying Objectivism for me is not like studying other subjects. I listen a lot, I read whenever I want, I talk about it, I think about it and try to apply it. It's been years of sporadic interest. I'm not an expert, but it doesn't bother me. I know a fair bit, and I will continue to refine my knowledge, and possibly branch out some more. I sometimes go months without any 'study'. But sometimes I get interested or need to answer a question for myself and I binge on Objectivist material.

If you spend 30 minutes a day on it, you will learn a whole lot in 1 year.

Do you take the bus? Listen to Leonard Peikoff's podcasts or Diana Hsieh's podcasts. Go to audible and get peikoff's OPAR and listen to that whenever you can. Do you ever wait in line? Walk around? Any mindless time? Doing housework? Listen to it then too. Download all the ayn rand estore lectures and listen to them while doing housework like I do. I've learned so much while scrubbing dishes.

Most of all, don't stress about it. And you don't need 10,000 hours to learn anything, not Objectivism, not anything. If you want hours, aim for 250 hours.

Edited by Peter Morris