Objectivism Online Forum

Time management

Rate this topic

Are there any materials covering this topic from an abstract, Objectivist perspective? 

I have so many interests I'd like to pursue and study but I just don't have enough time for it all and I don't know how to prioritize. Do I spend more time working over-time to save up for a business? Do I spend that time instead studying philosophy, history? Learning dance? Improving my English? Reading literature? Going out for coffee with a friend? 

I've tried ranking my interests — but I just can't  — and its left me somewhat overwhelmed with what I'm supposed to do with my time.

Ahh!

Just to give some idea of how many different things I'd like to take courses in or intensely study:

Computer Science: Python, Linux, Algorithms (covered by a few different courses)

Literature: A reading list containing lots of classic literature, poetry and then a list of literature, poetry courses

Dance: I dance. I want to further study movement and musicality (this means some one on one study with teachers).

Business: I had been working towards something for many years; at some point I gave up, but I'd still like to try. This means working over-time and saving up a certain amount. It also means intense study and work.

English: Improving diction, writing and studying grammar so that I can think better and communicate better. This also includes some plans for hiring a teacher 1 on 1.

Philosophy: epistemology, ethics, history... I love it all. I just am so hard pressed for time. It's one thing I don't want to give up because I feel like thinking about it makes me a better person. If I'm doing lots of stuff and making money it won't mean anything if I'm not a good, confident, proud, happy person (I know because I've been close to achieving what seem like a lot, but still feeling miserable).

Theatre: I like improvised theatre and the community around it

Maths / Physics: I did some maths at university but have not had a chance to explore topics as in depth as I wanted to. I'd also like to read up on physics.

Relationships: I want to actively, consciously work on cultivating better relationships and being a better friend

I could keep going with this list of things. But you see my dilemma? I'm working 8 - 9  hours a day full-time to pay bills and save up. Ahhh!

One thing that can help your prioritization is to remember that doing some things also makes doing other things possible.

E.G.  If amongst a whole host of things you like to do, you also like financial planning, it is important when allocating time for activities that you remember that every minute of "financial planning" increases your ability to engage in better quality and greater number of other activities.... because financial planning improves (even if only minimally) the finances upon which all your activities depend.