Objectivism Online Forum

A movie about Ayn Rand

Rate this topic

Severinian

How come noone has made a movie about Ayn Rand's life yet? I think it could be perfect. I got the idea after seeing this video presentation about her life:

3 actresses: One small baby for that one scene with the electric cars, one 7-year old who can play Rand from age 5 to 12, another one who can play Rand as a teenager and adult. (Later years - digital editing or make-up so she looks older)

Her actual life and its progression is just perfect for a story. It could start with the scene with her father explaining the electric cars when she was 2 and a half years old, then one could see many scenes from her childhood, how intelligent she was at home and at school, her vow to herself to become a writer at age 9, how her father's drug store was confiscated by the communists, etc. 

As a teen, one could see her debates and friendship with the daughter of Vladimir Nabokov, which is an interesting coincidence in and of itself, one could see the scene where she tells her university professor that she will one day become a great philosopher, etc. All these things happened, and they are just perfect for a romantic story. 

Then, her hunger as her family lost everything, her escape to the US, how she departed from her first love who was later killed by the communist state, how she cried with joy when she came to New York, met Frank, there's love at first sight when they spot each other on the bus, then she becomes the world's most influential writer, how is this not a movie already? 

The ending scene could be her euphoric moment when The Fountainhead became a best-seller, then there is some glorious music, and before the credits, there are various 10-second scenes from the rest of her life, with some text beneath. ("Atlas Shrugged became her magnum opus", "She continued writing and teaching for the rest of her life", "she died contently and satisfied with her life, in a hotel room, with her heir Leonard Peikoff by her side", etc) 

It would be a wonderful way to turn the narrative about Ayn Rand, she is always demonized, a movie like this could show how she was a hero who made the most out of her life, and the writers wouldn't even need to make artistic freedoms to make her life more interesting because it was actually pretty spectacular, and perfect for a movie.

I'm just spitballing here, hopefully someone could make this a reality if it sounds like a good idea. Thoughts?

Edited by Severinian

I highly recommend Ayn Rand in Her Own Words.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS

There is also a film dramatization of a portion of Rand's adult life in the HBO movie The Passion of Ayn Rand. I recall only a couple of things about it: a soiree with young people speaking catch-word gibberish and a hot sex scene. However, I saw the film only once, and I can remember a lot more of a film if I see it a second time. One lucky thing for me was the film introduced me to the actress Helen Mirren.

Edited by Boydstun

As a teen, one could see her debates and friendship with the daughter of Vladimir Nabokov, which is an interesting coincidence in and of itself, one could see the scene where she tells her university professor that she will one day become a great philosopher, etc. All these things happened, and they are just perfect for a romantic story.

You must mean future wife. But where'd you hear that? It sounds cool if true! Offtopic I know, but it's not something I heard before.