Objectivism Online Forum

Server move and missing posts

Rate this topic

Sorry guys, I screwed up big time.  I migrated the nightly backup, whereas I should have taken a snapshot before migrating.   I thought it would be OK because it was the middle of the night, but because of the time zone difference (I'm in Bangkok) I did not realize that the backup was done on the previous day.

Then, because I did it at the last minute, the hosting account is expired.  I cannot access the latest backup without paying for another six months.

Would it be a huge deal to give up on the last day of posts?  They are probably in Google's cache.

FYI

The forum has not been very stable since the move.  I am trying to host it on Windows/IIS, which requires some tuning.  If it does not work after a week, I'll have to move it to Apache and/or Linux.

Please IM me if you notice that it's down.

Slower loading, with frequent cloud server and sql errors.

Edit: I would also add that the last post on this thread is still listed as the 4:26am post of 24May2015 @ 11:46pm 26May2015

Edit again: 27May2015 @ 7:51am, still indicating post #6 as the last post under "View New Content".

Edited by dream_weaver

I'm not seeing the two edits added to my last post:

Edit: I would also add that the last post on this thread is still listed as the 4:26am post of 24May2015 @ 11:46pm 26May2015

Edit again: 27May2015 @ 7:51am, still indicating post #6 as the last post under "View New Content".

Also noting new threads started where the content is not displayed.

Edit: Of course, it worked correctly this time. Go figure.

Edited by dream_weaver

How about now?  Better?

When I see it spinning, it seems to be trying to hit quotes.rationalmind.net

I took the display of quotes out of the Default (Desktop) theme and it does not spin, but completes loading the page. I think it is still slower, but at least the page loads.

Still getting the cloud flare Host Error:

The connection to the origin web server was made, but the origin web server timed out before responding. The likely cause is an overloaded background task, database or application, stressing the resources on your web server. To resolve, please work with your hosting provider or web development team to free up resources for your database or overloaded application.

Even when successfully connected with the page, the loading symbol on the Firefox browser tab will continue to indicate it's not done loading for several minutes. This results in being framed to the first post on a page, rather than jumping down to the last unread post.

Not sure how long http://quotes.rationalmind.net/random.php?format=js has been having issues, but the "source page" shows it as one of the elements used to build a page. Perhaps a temporary disabling or putting a timeout/skip ability in may alleviate a part of the wait-time for a page to finish loading.

Not sure how long http://quotes.rationalmind.net/random.php?format=js has been having issues, but the "source page" shows it as one of the elements used to build a page. Perhaps a temporary disabling or putting a timeout/skip ability in may alleviate a part of the wait-time for a page to finish loading.

I took it out of the default theme (See #14 above). I will take it out of the other themes too, until it gets resolved.

Updated: Done. I hope that makes a difference.

Edited by softwareNerd

Updated: Done. I hope that makes a difference.

Clicking around, the speed feels almost normal again. The only page that lagged was the "Portal"/home page. It had a spot with the quotes code, so I deleted it. Now, it loads up like everything else.

Problems solved?