Objectivism Online Forum

CNN DEBATE

Rate this topic

jacassidy2

WOW.  So many leaders with not a clue about principles, but who talk only in principles.  Contradiction you say?  Their principles are almost all floating abstractions - they're principles, but they have no referents - they are using concepts as if they existed only in human minds, not specifically based in reality and learned by sense data.

Trump is popular because he has been more concrete in a way that alleviates the anti-life, altruist-held guilt held by many people who know that we should get rid of bad people who are not citizens and compete economically with other countries that don't support free markets (though I wonder if Trump understands this).

My biggest surprise was the words of Ben Carson.  He said many good things, but not about liberty. This could end up like the Gerald Ford election - that voting for the republican might be better then abstaining.  Carson can't get his Christian ideas passed anyway.  Thoughts?

The candidates reflect the ignorance and stupidity of the voters in their party. They're a mix, just as are those voters. 

From a soap-opera perspective, I assume Trump will lose a bit of his percentage, but it isn't clear if any single person will pick up the difference.

I dislike them all, but I would probably vote for the following over Hillary: Kasich, Bush, Paul, Rubio. I'd vote for Hillary over: Trump, Carson, Cruz, Huckabee. With the following, I'm not sure: Fiorina, Christie, Walker.

Edited by softwareNerd

I think Trump is explain in two parts.  One is the media's continual trying to turn everything from politics to the weather into reality TV has led to a realty TV showman getting the attention (for now) and second, he refreshingly doesn't play the typical politician, play nice, and act politically correct.  Many people are responding to that.  

I don't think it will hold in the long run but it does at this early stage.  People are decidedly over business as usual but when the campaign gets real and the party faithful really starts churning things will shake out.  

Remember Romney was behind early on but political planning, entrenched operations nationally, and money made him weather the early days simply because he was prepared for the marathon that is the primaries.  

The candidates reflect the ignorance and stupidity of the voters in their party. They're a mix, just as are those voters. 

From a soap-opera perspective, I assume Trump will lose a bit of his percentage, but it isn't clear if any single person will pick up the difference.

I dislike them all, but I would probably vote for the following over Hillary: Kasich, Bush, Paul, Rubio. I'd vote for Hillary over: Trump, Carson, Cruz, Huckabee. With the following, I'm not sure: Fiorina, Christie, Walker.

Bush has the best track record when it comes to cutting taxes and spending. He also seems to be actively trying to maintain a good relationship with Hispanics, which is important in trying to repair the damage caused by all the Mexican bashing going on on the right currently. 

But the only one I'd vote Dem against are Trump and Huckabee, because their economic policies are just as terrible as the Democrats'. Everyone else would be better than the Democratic candidate on economic and foreign policy, and relatively harmless on everything else.