Objectivism Online Forum

An Etiquette Question.

Rate this topic

Maybe this will seem a bit silly, but since I am only fifteen and most members have a lot more knowledge and experience than I do, I am having some problems with the question of how to address other members. I do not know whether most members prefer first names (if known), screen names, or Mr./ Mrs. and a last name. My current policy has been to use screen names when no real name is available, and Mr./ Mrs. when it is. However a lot of times I forget and use first names. Do any of you have any thoughts on this? Preferences?

Edited by non-contradictor

If a member expresses a preference for a particular title e.g. Mr, Miss, Mizz, Dr. or whatever, then you should respect that particular wish. Otherwise the real name, plain and simple, or the pseudonym, would be preferred form of address. You may of course prefix a relevant title or professional designation as a special sign of respect, but you should be careful to understand that addressing "Mr. Smith" but "Tom Jones" makes a statement about who you disrespect. Though we had a visitor here who had the annoying habit of using titles in a sneering, disrespectful fashion. Repect is better conveyed by what you say, not the automatic use of titles.

That said, I prefer to be addressed as Your Excellency.

If a member expresses a preference for a particular title e.g. Mr, Miss, Mizz, Dr. or whatever, then you should respect that particular wish.

Certainly, I was hoping, though perhaps I did not make it clear, that people could express their preferences for particular titles here. :)

Repect is better conveyed by what you say, not the automatic use of titles.
A very good point. But one name is just as easy to type as another, and I'd rather be respectful in all aspects (to people I respect).

That said, I prefer to be addressed as Your Excellency.

Okay, thank you for your reply Your Excellency. :D