Objectivism Online Forum

Vanilla Sky

Rate this topic

I saw it once in the theater and enjoyed it enough to purchase a used copy on VHS, which I have not yet watched. I would need to watch it again in order to discuss it philosophically. Was the movie advocating that reality is subjective? I did like the ending where he had to make a huge choice and take a life-threatening risk in order to be able to live in reality.

I think the message is that one can tell the difference between reality and dreams.

Another message is what hell existence would be if it truly were subjective - it would drive you crazy. So though it seems like a subjectivist movie I think it is really anti-subjectivist.

I think the message is that one can tell the difference between reality and dreams.

Another message is what hell existence would be if it truly were subjective - it would drive you crazy. So though it seems like a subjectivist movie I think it is really anti-subjectivist.

Hmmm... I avoided seeing it because it seemed pro-subjectivism, so maybe I shoudl check it out :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those who are not familiar with ABRE LOS OJOS (OPEN YOUR EYES), this is the original Spanish film (also starring Penelope Cruz) which was remade into VANILLA SKY. Since I've already seen the Tom Cruise version twice before I saw this, all the mystery & surprise are gone. However I still enjoyed it.

What surprised me is that VANILLA SKY is essentially a shot by shot remake which even retains most of the original dialogue. Since both films are nearly identical with good acting all around, I would have to give VANILLA the edge, as it does have superior production values. Not to say that the original looks crappy, but it's not as visually gorgeous. If you had to pick only one version to see, then go VANILLA.

As for the philosophy, the point seems to be that if you can't concentrate on shaping your world (whether it's the waking or dreaming world), then you're screwed. It's like that old saying, "Heaven or hell starts from where your feet stands."

The end message was positive. Rather than continue the awful farce of his dream world, he jumped back to reality. A virtual world is a deadly temptation for a mind. Too many people are willing to sacrifice power and control for entertainment as is. Just imagine what happens when people are given an opportunity to manipulate their senses in order to "verify" those idiotic things they prefer to believe. The concept of virtual reality is becoming the subjectivist's weapon of choice.