Objectivism Online Forum

I want to promote Objectivism as a career

Rate this topic

I've realized that what I really want to do in life is promote the ideas I'm passionate about. The trouble is figuring out in what capacity I could do that. I don't think I'm cut out to be an  intellectual, especially not a college professor. I'm a fair communicator and can write clearly on subject that I know about, but my writing lacks "sparkle" and I'm not a quick thinker or super articulate speaker when it comes to explaining things and dissecting opposing arguments off the top of my head like Yaron Brook does when he gives talks and participates in debates. I wish I could do so, but don't think I can. I would love to work for ARI in some capacity one day, maybe in a supportive role rather than as an intellectual. Any leads as to how I could accomplish this?

Other than ARI, a place like "Institute of Justice" could be interesting. Since the world of Objectivist or Objectivsm-friendly activism is quite small, one route could be to try getting into other places, which have a narrow focus on some issue you support: for example some GOP-tied group that has a focus on school-choice or eminent-domain. The idea would be to get experience with activism, and to build your resume. You could even consider groups that have nothing to do with Objectivism: like the anti-AGW crowd. If your motivation is to fight for ideas you can support, you might be able to find a fight outside Objectivism too.

Also, realize that though it might be romantic to fight for your ideas to live in them today, it can also be frustrating. Imagine you get into ARI. Now imagine looking back in 10 years and thinking: "Nothing has really changed in the world". Combine this with the more local frustrations with the inevitable internal management and politics of any organization you would join. Are you willing to take the bad with the good?

Other than ARI, a place like "Institute of Justice" could be interesting. Since the world of Objectivist or Objectivsm-friendly activism is quite small, one route could be to try getting into other places, which have a narrow focus on some issue you support: for example some GOP-tied group that has a focus on school-choice or eminent-domain. The idea would be to get experience with activism, and to build your resume. You could even consider groups that have nothing to do with Objectivism: like the anti-AGW crowd. If your motivation is to fight for ideas you can support, you might be able to find a fight outside Objectivism too.

Also, realize that though it might be romantic to fight for your ideas to live in them today, it can also be frustrating. Imagine you get into ARI. Now imagine looking back in 10 years and thinking: "Nothing has really changed in the world". Combine this with the more local frustrations with the inevitable internal management and politics of any organization you would join. Are you willing to take the bad with the good?

Can't be any worse than arguing on the internet + I'd be getting paid for it.

Edited by iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Can't be any worse than arguing on the internet + at least I'd be getting paid for it.

:)  By all means go for it. I just meant: think about the downside too.

Also, the alternative is not "arguing on the internet". One alternative could be: become a doctor, and give Yaron a big check each year to do what he does best.