Objectivism Online Forum

Is my sales job sleazy and immoral?

Rate this topic

happiness

I recently decided to try my hand at sales. My long-term interest is in selling precious metals and related investments, but since the job I want is commission only, I decided to start with a non-commission sales job to get my feet wet and make sure I can stand selling at all.

The company I’m selling for specialized in marketing online tech support services to seniors who are tech illiterate. I have no interest in the company or its product whatsoever and the further I get into the sales training, the less I like the company. 

The sales process goes like this: a confused tech illiterate person, usually elderly, types something like “I can't get into my email” into a search engine. Our company's site is one of the most prominent search results, and the link directs them to a page that prompts them to enter their contact information so we can call to help. They more tech illiterate the lead is, the more likely he is to assume this is part of his ISP’s service. Once we get his info, we call him.

The sales agent asks to connect to the lead’s computer to do an audit of his system. The naive lead often thinks he's talking to some nice person who’s going to get him back into his email for free, but the real purpose of the audit is to see what kind of services his computer would benefit from (things like malware removal, software updates, security upgrades, cleaning up superfluous startup programs, etc. and to find out what he does with it) so the agent can upsell him on all the appropriate bells and whistles later in the call. So right off the bat, the agent is starting the conversation under false pretenses.

The agent is required to start selling the “fix” for $149 regardless of how simple of a problem it is. The fix necessarily include a “tuneup and optimization” and malware removal even if the lead doesn't want it. The lead can talk the price down to $99 or $49, but I feel ridiculous even starting at $149 and suggesting that that's somehow good deal for something simple like a password reset. As a rebuttal when the lead declines because the price is too high, the suggests a script is, “I understand, but it's absolutely what needs to happen, and we're definitely going to be the cheapest option to get the work done.” Which is bullshit because it doesn't necessarily need to happen, and a few other services do offer cheaper options.

The "fix" is meant to be a prelude to selling the person on a month-to-month membership that includes a lot of services like cloud storage and unlimited tech support in the future. These services are valuable to some people, so I have no problem with it in and of itself. However, although we're not required to use them, most of the suggested scripts we're encouraged to use are gimmicky at best, and in a few cases they're outright dishonest. For example, we’re taught to say that the particular antivirus program included in the company's service offering is better than whatever program the lead is already using (dubious, PC mag rates a few common programs higher) emphasize that it's used by “hospitals and universities” (while a few dozen institutions of those types apparently do use it, the majority of the thousands of other ones must use other antivirus programs), and then say it normally retails for $100 (the real price is $20-50).

If the customer states that he owns multiple computers, we are required say ad verbatim “let's get that one connected too”—that is, assume the lead wants to do it rather than ask. Blaauurg.

To the company's credit, at no point are we required to use high-pressure tactics, refuse to take no for an answer, or do anything flagrantly dishonest. But some of the things were expected to say are too far out of line with reality for my taste. Do you think the job is actually immoral, or am I just too conscientious for it?

Edited by happiness

If your interest is in selling precious metals and related investments, find a coin store that needs some counter help. It would put you in contact with people that are looking for precious metals and numismatic coins. By learning to answer their questions, and more important, what questions to ask to clarify what they're looking for, you will have a better chance of developing a skill set with regard to an area of expertise you claim to be interested in.

As to this computer tech deal, it brings to mind a saying from Galt's Speech: "you do not care to live as a dependent, least of all a dependent on the stupidity of others, or as a fool whose source of values is the fools he succeeds in fooling."

I don't know that I can answer your specific question, but reflecting on my own experiences, I've worked in a few different positions which required sales, and each had a different culture with respect to honesty. In those cases where dishonesty was expected or required (and in at least one case, outright lies/storytelling), I came to loathe the work, which is a serious inhibitor of my overall happiness.

My best experiences with sales were those cases where I was allowed to be completely honest (including identifying those times where the product was not a good fit for the customer, and saying so). Not only did I enjoy it more, but I was a more effective salesman.

Today I would not be willing to work for a company that asked anything of me other than honesty in my dealings.