Objectivism Online Forum

Animal rights

Rate this topic

Marzshox

I don't know if there is an existing thread regarding this topic. I've discussed animal rights on this forum before with my first account, Jon P. 

My step dad had a debate with me last night, and it uncovered a side to him I never knew. 

He actually cares for animals. This all in contrast to my preconceived notions that he disliked domesticated pets.

It started one day in the park where me met the gaze of a dog. As they looked at each other, he said he has an epiphany... Animals are essentially like us, equal with humans.

He said that when he came to this conclusion he began generating ideas that to own a domesticated animal is immoral.

He went on to explain how they are bred and taken away from their families as puppies and have no say in the matter. They are separated from their family and put in to homes, as a means of entertainment for the owner.

I argued that the dog was too young to know it was being separated from its family. Much like an adopted child is given away, and provided with a warm place to live, and is fed and nurtured.

Apposed to being independent, fending for itself in nature which requires it to hunt, a home environment is also convenient, as all the animals needs are met.

I also envision a future where all animals are seen as volatile beings, and our society will evolve into one that does not harm or eat animals. Scientifically synthesized foods may replace our need to even eat plants, which also may one day be seen as living things that deserve to exist without our need to consume them.

Pretty radical ideas, but not so far fetched.

I know we are made to eat what we can find in the environment, and carnivores have teeth to use in their hunt and consumption of other animals. But will we ever be beyond this?

Animals in captivity always seem content with their circumstances. None I know manifest bad energy regarding their way of life. What do you think?

You're talking in non-essentials. Rights can only apply to humans since morality is only needed for humans to survive. Humans have to think to make choices in life to survive; animals act on instinct.

So you cannot talk in terms of animals "deserving" to exist.

Furthermore, it would be impractical to protect them and for no one to eat them; the ramifications would be enormous. E.g. we would be overrun with them, disease would spread, etc.

1 hour ago, TLD said:

...it would be impractical to protect them and for no one to eat them; the ramifications would be enormous. E.g. we would be overrun with them, disease would spread, etc...

You make some powerful points. Thanks for your response.