Objectivism Online Forum

South Park

Rate this topic

The Wrath

It wasn't really offensive or shocking, except maybe the "My grandmother, who faked her death on monday" line.

I only find South Park funny when they're offensive to someone, or intentionally pissing off somebody.

It wasn't completely useless, I do appreciate what they were going for, but that type of irony can't really make me laugh: probably because it's something I expected Trey and Matt to point out, it didn't surprise me at all.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a fan of the show and of Stone & Parker's work generally. I agree that not every episode has worked, whether from a comedic or "message" point of view. Overall it's refreshing to see things that deserve to be lampooned getting the treatment.

• 1 year later...

South Park under threat again, by Muslim fundamentalists:

CNN Security Brief: Radical Islamic Web site takes on 'South Park'

This despite (or is it because of?) the fact that Comedy Central has given in to thuggery in the past, and has been censoring any attempts to show the Prophet's image for years now.

Edited by Jake_Ellison

Comedy Central has really outdone themselves this time. Not only did they censor the image of Muhammed in South Park's latest episodes (200 and 201), but they went so far as to bleep his name out, and even bleeped the entire ending speech that didn't even mention his name.

From the official website SouthParkStudios:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/news/3878

A Statement from Matt and Trey

In the 14 years we've been doing South Park we have never done a show that we couldn't stand behind. We delivered our version of the show to Comedy Central and they made a determination to alter the episode. It wasn't some meta-joke on our part. Comedy Central added the bleeps. In fact, Kyle's customary final speech was about intimidation and fear. It didn't mention Muhammad at all but it got bleeped too. We'll be back next week with a whole new show about something completely different and we'll see what happens to it.

This is completely outrageous if you ask me. I found an e-mail form for Comedy Central's feedback comments and sent them a piece of my mind.

http://www.comedycentral.com/help/questionsCC.jhtml

Here's what I wrote them:

Subject:Censorship of South Park ep.200/201

Your company's willingness to appease totalitarian Islamists is disgusting. Companies in the media industry rely upon the principal of freedom of speech to exist. However, you're company has so thoroughly sold out and shown to the world that you value the petty threats of murderous thugs over freedom of speech. I wanted to make it known that this is completely unacceptable. Your appeasement only signals to anyone crazy enough that it is ok to threaten someone with violence when they say something they dislike. As well as serving to invite even bolder threats. I'm not willing to make death threats to get what I want, and so I doubt to see much change or an apology. But perhaps you'd understand that if you had even cared about the integrity of the shows you air.

I hope others will feel the same way and flood their feedback with criticism.