Objectivism Online Forum

Reblogged:Friday Four

Rate this topic

1. Alex Epstein, author of the best-selling The Moral Case for Fossil Fuels, recently received an inappropriate subpoena from Maura Healey, the Attorney General of Massachusetts. Healey has evidently joined a fishing expedition designed to silence anyone who questions the scientific merit of global warming alarmism. Showing a flair for gauging the intelligence and moral stature of his audience -- and addressing it in language it can understand -- Epstein pennedthe following response, which I quote in full:
Fuck off, fascist.
Aside from the direct assault on freedom of speech (and property rights) Healey's actions represent, a brief story about the response in the Daily Caller notes a few other problems with the order. (HT: HBL)

2. I like Linux and I can't wait to introduce my children to Harry Potter. It follows that I'd get a kick out of bash aliases for Harry Potter enthusiasts, as seen at GitHub.

3. Not a moment too soon comes a style guide on how to cover Donald Trump fairly, fromthe Washington Post. It may come as a surprise that such turns of phrase as, "cocktail shrimp in a toupee," and "husk of dead skin and hyperbole," are listed as bad. (HT: Snedcat)

4. When synesthesia and colorblindness meet, you get ... "Martian colors":
We also observed one case in which we believe cross activation enables a colorblind synesthete to see numbers tinged with hues he otherwise cannot perceive; charmingly, he refers to these as "Martian colors." Although his retinal color receptors cannot process certain wavelengths, we suggest that his brain color area is working just fine and being cross-activated when he sees numbers ...
More on the interesting phenomenon of synesthesia can be had at the link above and at another article, which starts off with time-space synesthesia.

-- CAV

Link to Original