Objectivism Online Forum

Learning finance

Rate this topic

qpwoeiru

I'm looking for some recommendations on what to start reading to learn about finance. If anyone knows a good textbook, that would be great since I would like to learn what a finance major would learn. Also, are these subjects like philosophy and economics in which there are many differing schools of thought?

(Also any books on investing, the stock market, accounting, or anything else business related would be appreciated.)

Thanks in advance

Not sure what background you already have, but if you're looking for "finance major" type of material, I suggest you look at the online course offered by some reputable universities. For instance, Yale's Schiller has a course that's somewhere on YouTube. MIT has some courses too. I assume there are others like that too. If you want to go deeper, check out the books they list for the course.

Since I am also new in finance I want to add my own inquires to the thread: what do you think about Warren Buffet & Ben Graham's value investing?

Buffet says that the average person would be better off investing in an index fund rather than following the market. I mean the average person as in not willing to spend great effort and time to track their investments.

How much effort is required to beat performance of an index fund? How many hours spent on reading - learning the principles, and how much time required to properly evaluate one business?

Also, as it may contribute to the well being of my fellow Objectivists, I want to pass on to you that the market is heavily overvalued, and Soros and Icahn are both shorting it generally. There could be a repetition of 2008. (but I'm not financially literate in that degree, so I'll stop there. Go read on it and make up your own mind).

• 2 months later...

I'm taking self-paced courses on Udemy, some of which are quite good. This was a nice primer I took this year after having ignored the markets for the previous 3-4 years and forgotten most of what I knew: https://www.udemy.com/financial-markets-a-to-z-for-beginners/learn/v4/. I also take the books of economists/investors I respect such as Jim Rogers, Marc Faber, and Peter Schiff, and look up important concepts mentioned on sites like Investopedia. Finance is a pretty broad field, so I would recommend concretizing in your mind exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

• 2 months later...