Objectivism Online Forum

Reblogged:The Root of Anti-Gay Issues (DE Wave)

Rate this topic

The atrocities committed in Orlando last week have brought the issues of homosexuality and religion into the forefront. In the aftermath, I received an interesting email from a website visitor who asks, “I’m not sure I can give proper advice to my brother. He’s gay and really loves our parents, who are slightly religious but don’t practice. They’ve made anti-gay remarks in the past, and he’s afraid they won’t approve of his sexuality. He’s 18 years old and a freshman in college. I’m really at a loss for what to say.”

When your parents make anti-gay remarks, they’re not talking specifically about your brother. They’re talking about the “floating abstraction” of homosexuality. For your parents, there’s a disconnect between “the gays” whom they dislike in the abstract, and your brother, whom they presumably love. When they learn of his sexuality, they will have to abandon one or the other of these contradictory assumptions: Either, “Our son, whom we love, is a good person who happens to be gay,” or “Being gay is bad and wrong.” One of these things has to be false. In other words, they’re either going to stop disliking gay people or stop loving your brother. But not both.

In my experience, they’ll most likely keep loving your brother. This is because they are, as you say, only slightly religious and don’t practice with excess fervor. In this (relatively) enlightened time, many – but not all – religious people are rather liberal on the subject of same-sex relationships. There are numerous exceptions. For example, a male couple I knew adopted three young children back in the late ‘80s – very early, culturally speaking, for that kind of thing. The mother of one of the partners was an unyielding fundamentalist Baptist who, upon learning of her son’s homosexuality a few years earlier, had cut him off. But once the grandchildren were on the scene, she began to show up at the household, offering to babysit, giving advice and the like. It went as well as it possibly could.

One of the reasons homosexuality is such a hot-button issue is that it forces people to confront their contradictions. In particular, the contradictions surrounding “selfishness” and self-interest. Religious or not, we’re all taught that selfishness and self-interest are bad. Then, in contradiction, we’re taught that we must go out into the world, pursue our dreams, and act with self-preservation. The vast majority of people are exposed to this inconsistency. No wonder there are so many emotional problems and disorders.

This dichotomy takes a special form in the case of romance and marriage. Many religious conservatives teach their children that marriage is selfless, its sole purpose is to create a family and that personal happiness has nothing to do with it. Homosexuality challenges that assumption that love must be selfless. If one accepts his or her sexual proclivities, then, by definition, he or she has elevated personal fulfillment above the supposed “virtue” of self-sacrifice. This stirs up a lot of uncomfortable feelings – feelings that go beyond the boundaries of sexual orientation.

You said your brother doesn’t want to disappoint your parents. I would tell him, “So what? Disappointment is based on a standard. If the standard is reasonable, then you’ve disappointed yourself as well. If that standard is based on something unreasonable, or something that doesn’t apply to you, then accept the fact that you’re an adult and get on with your life.” I would go so far as to say that disappointing your parents, or anybody, is all part of growing up. If one doesn’t know how to handle that, then he or she is not yet their own man or woman. That, not sexual orientation, is your brother’s primary issue.

We don’t need approval from anyone in order to survive and flourish. Once we liberate ourselves from the myth of perpetual self-sacrifice, the emotional reward of freedom and self-esteem is ours to enjoy. Tell your brother that this is his life to live, and not anybody else’s. In order to be a happy and well-adjusted adult, he must stop apologizing for being who he is.

Follow Dr. Hurd on Facebook. Search under “Michael  Hurd” (Rehoboth Beach DE). Get up-to-the-minute postings, recommended articles and links, and engage in back-and-forth discussion with Dr. Hurd on topics of interest. Also follow Dr. Hurd on Twitter at @MichaelJHurd1

Check out Dr. Hurd’s latest Newsmax Insider column here!

The post The Root of Anti-Gay Issues (DE Wave) appeared first on Michael J. Hurd, Ph.D. | Living Resources Center.

View the full article @ www.DrHurd.com