Objectivism Online Forum

Favorite Dog Breed

Rate this topic

ALP

Here's a feast for an animal lover's eyes -- a blue merle Pyrenean Shepherd named "Simply the Best de Loubajac" (Call name "La"). She is the world champion in agility, mid-sized dog class, and cute as anything. I hope to get a blue merle like this someday.

La1.jpg

I only have a casual interest in dogs, basically insofar as they've made good pets for me. So I don't think I have a favorite breed. I must say, though, that that blue merle Pyrenean Shepherd is gorgeous.

My own dog is no champion at anything, but she is adorable and sweet-natured, and so I love her anyway. Her name is Samantha (I didn't name her, that's what she was called when I got her from the Humane Society when she was already three years old, which I thought was probably too late to change it), and she is a Dalmatian mix. Here's a picture--not a very good one, but the best one I have on my computer at the moment:

Samantha%203%20small.jpg

She is definitely cute. And the "mix" part makes it doable. Adopting a pure-bred Dalmation from the humane society would be pretty difficult I think. I've heard their temperaments have gotten tricky, with all the in-breeding. But with a mix you have the best of both worlds, a cute dog and a good temperament.

I have a black pyrenean shepherd named Boo. She has her own web site.

Boo's Web Site

Ignore the eyes in the second picture -- they retouched them to make the eyes look black, instead of spooky. But in reality they are a pretty deep brown.

She is definitely cute.  And the "mix" part makes it doable.  Adopting a pure-bred Dalmation from the humane society would be pretty difficult I think.  I've heard their temperaments have gotten tricky, with all the in-breeding.  But with a mix you have the best of both worlds, a cute dog and a good temperament.

Yes, she certainly didn't get her temperament from her Dalmatian heritage, if it's true that Dalmatians have bad temperaments. I recently thought she inherited something else that is common to Dalmatians, though: mammary cancer. At first, the vet thought it might just be a blocked and infected duct, but when it didn't seem to respond to the anti-biotics and anti-inflammatories he prescribed, he thought it was probably a tumor and she had to have surgery to get it removed. Apparently, mammary cancer is very common in Dalmatians--in fact, there was another Dalmatian at the vet with the exact same symptoms the same day as mine. But thankfully, it did turn out to just be an infection after all.

I have a black pyrenean shepherd named Boo...

Boo is adorable. Who is that other dog she's playing with in the third picture? A friend's dog, or is he yours too?

Yes, she certainly didn't get her temperament from her Dalmatian heritage, if it's true that Dalmatians have bad temperaments.  I recently thought she inherited something else that is common to Dalmatians, though: mammary cancer.  At first, the vet thought it might just be a blocked and infected duct, but when it didn't seem to respond to the anti-biotics and anti-inflammatories he prescribed, he thought it was probably a tumor and she had to have surgery to get it removed.  Apparently, mammary cancer is very common in Dalmatians--in fact, there was another Dalmatian at the vet with the exact same symptoms the same day as mine.  But thankfully, it did turn out to just be an infection after all.

I've had two Dalmatians in my life and I've never had either get mammary cancer. I guess my girls are beating the odds. Dot lived to be 11 and Molly's pushing 7 right now.

Oh and they do have bad temperaments, if you think that hyperactivity is bad. You get used to it pretty quickly and it helps to have enough income to replace the stuff they destroy.

post-11-1075233075_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...