Objectivism Online Forum

Rate this topic

"You can say of (an idea) either that 'it is useful because it is true' or that 'it is true because it is useful.'  Both of these phrases mean exactly the same thing." - William James

6 hours ago, Satsanga said:

I maintain that while truth DOES exist, it is impossible to define accurately. I challenge anybody here who disagrees to give an accurate definition of truth. 

You think your statement is true, do you?

16 hours ago, Satsanga said:

I maintain that while truth DOES exist, it is impossible to define accurately. I challenge anybody here who disagrees to give an accurate definition of truth. 

hmm , first give definitions of some terms of your own 'here', 'challenge', 'accurate' and 'anybody' and then 'DOES'

On 11/27/2016 at 8:41 PM, Satsanga said:

Sorry I'm late. Did somebody order a CODE RED?

https://youtu.be/9FnO3igOkOk

you-cant-handle-the-truth-meme-generator-you-want-the-truth-you-can-t-handle-the-truth-9789dd.jpg

Edited by MisterSwig

On 11/27/2016 at 10:41 PM, Satsanga said:

Alright, I'll take your challenge (though I'm like a year late)

Truth is a relation of correspondence between propositions and facts. We say that a proposition P is true precisely when it is the case that P.

On 6/11/2017 at 9:06 AM, SpookyKitty said:

Alright, I'll take your challenge (though I'm like a year late)

Truth is a relation of correspondence between propositions and facts. We say that a proposition P is true precisely when it is the case that P.

That definition can work but any valid definition of truth will be rejected by someone who is irrational. 

In other words, the OP would be correct to say that "it is impossible to define accurately" to someone who is irrational.

Truth is the recognition of reality; reason, man’s only means of knowledge, is his only standard of truth.