Objectivism Online Forum

Why does the Visual Arts Forum seem deserted?

Rate this topic

Tenderlysharp

Budda

Would it be safe to say that Rand's definition of Art is a species falling within your definition of Art which is broader?

I think I have a good handle on the definition of art and why it is important to Man, according to Rand.  I am very interested to know how your conception of Art is defined.  What is and is not art (to you) and why?

Your list would seem to indicate that to you Art is anything that has been purposefully (selectively) created and fashioned so as to have an emotional, intuitive, or sensory effect (i.e. something more than merely literal communication) on an observer of the work.

A note listing ingredients for KFC would not be art, but a note saying "Peace" written in blood might be Art?  A randomly chosen card from a deck of stained ink cards would not be art, but a three stained cards specifically chosen from the deck and arranged in a purposeful manner might be?

34 minutes ago, New Buddha said:

I believe that Rand explained why she chose architecture to be the center of the Fountainhead.  Maybe someone with a searchable data base << cough, cough, Dreamweaver, cough, cough, >> could find the quote. 

https://campus.aynrand.org/campus/globals/transcripts/ayn-rand-a-writers-life

She chose architecture because "it is a field of work that covers both art and a basic need of men's survival" (Rand)

4 hours ago, StrictlyLogical said:

Your list would seem to indicate that to you Art is anything that has been purposefully (selectively) created and fashioned so as to have an emotional, intuitive, or sensory effect (i.e. something more than merely literal communication) on an observer of the work.

That would include a very large field. And I think that if we make sure that art includes everything nobody's feeling will get hurt. However, if I say that architecture, photography, decoration are not art, I do not diminish those creative endeavours in any way, I simply recognise them for what they are. BUT, what really irks me is that when every creation is regarded as art, when it is not, and to include every creation DOES diminish art as being unique.

4 hours ago, StrictlyLogical said:

She chose architecture because "it is a field of work that covers both art and a basic need of men's survival" (Rand)

Architecture was a good field to convey new ideas battling to replace and improve upon traditional views, views held only because they were traditional.

Contrast that with modern "art" replacing traditional art - Henry Moore's blobs replacing Michelangelo's sculpture. Of course improving on traditional art is a good thing, but with blobs?   

6 hours ago, StrictlyLogical said:

Think of it this way.  If I were to go to Pompeii then, as someone interested in aesthetics, I would want to see everything that comprises their built environment: vases, frescoes, jewelry, mosaics, coins, tools, clothing, furniture, architecture, aqueducts, musical instruments, eating utensils, writing instruments, and so on.

2 hours ago, New Buddha said:

Think of it this way.  If I were to go to Pompeii then, as someone interested in aesthetics, I would want to see everything that comprises their built environment: vases, frescoes, jewelry, mosaics, coins, tools, clothing, furniture, architecture, aqueducts, musical instruments, eating utensils, writing instruments, and so on.

Is there a particular philosophy of aesthetics you subscribe to?