Objectivism Online Forum

How many pinheads can dance on an angel?

Rate this topic

MisterSwig

I couldn't find the thread about angels dancing on a pinhead, so I thought I'd ask a related question. How many pinheads can dance on an angel?

If we assume the existence of angels, we should probably also agree that they reside in the same realm of existence as pinheads. Otherwise interaction between the two entities would be impossible, I guess, and the main question would be rendered pointless. Though, if you can see a way around the existential problem, be my guest and place angels in whatever immaterial realm you like, even though in the Bible they walk around like people.

Moving on, my initial thought is that dancing is something only humans and circus animals do. So a pinhead, being neither a human nor a circus animal, could not possibly dance on an angel.

That seems straightforward enough. But then I've seen Bill Nye try to dance on TV, and I'm almost certain that a pinhead could replicate his effort if perchance a strong wind passed by or if the angel quivered a little.

Yet, there's also the problem that a pinhead is not the entire pin, is it? It doesn't include the wire or the point.

Still, I think it has a small chance of moving like Nye. Now we must decide how many such pinheads could whirl around on an angel's bald head.

Edited by MisterSwig

45 minutes ago, New Buddha said:

That's awesome!

I like this part...

If the angels dance very quickly and in the same direction, then the angular momentum could lead to a situation like the extremal Kerr metric, where no event horizon forms ... Hence the number of dancing angels that can crowd together is likely much higher than the number of stationary angels. 

However, at these speeds the friction caused by their interaction with the pin is likely to vaporise it or at least break it apart.

Vaporizing the dance floor is also a problem with mosh pits at metal concerts.

Edited by MisterSwig

2 hours ago, MisterSwig said:

That's almost like asking how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop.

Looks like they've done some studies on that problem. Which seems absurdly unnecessary since Mr. Owl already gave us the answer.

Edited by MisterSwig
Quote should be attributed to DW

I suspect that if you polled American's they would consider it common sense - and therefore axiomatic - that angels exist.

However the "Theorem" that they dance (or don't) (or both dance and don't dance at the same time) would probably be contingent on the demonstration of a Proof.

Edited by New Buddha