Objectivism Online Forum

Taxation is not theft

Rate this topic

epistemologue

On 2/11/2017 at 6:06 PM, epistemologue said:

If you don't want to pay taxes then renounce your citizenship, and you will no longer be protected by the government. Nobody is forcing you to be a citizen.

According to your link and a few commonsense assumptions:

1: The procedure for giving up one's citizenship can only be done in person at an American embassy

2: There are no American embassies inside of America

C1: One can only give up one's citizenship from outside our borders

3: In giving up one's citizenship one gives up the "right to reside in America"

C2: Giving up one's citizenship requires one's physical exile from this geographic area

"If you're not rooting for the home team then get out!"

And to tell the truth, personally, I would love to go anywhere that wasn't even worse off than America. By all means, show me the door! I can't seem to find one, myself.

On 2/12/2017 at 5:56 PM, DonAthos said:

This has been the primary justification for statism for a long, long time; a "social contract" whereby we've all been born into an agreement to either fall in line or move away. Move where? The moon, perhaps, until the statists go there, too.

Too late!

On 2/12/2017 at 1:36 PM, Nicky said:

"Voluntary" is a fairly simple, straight forward concept. Is an issue that boils down to something that obvious really an issue worth discussing at length?

It would appear so.

It may help to research what the IRS considers "voluntary", though.

I'd especially recommend the case files. They detail all sorts of ways that people have tried, over the years, to teach the IRS what "voluntary" means, and what was done to them for it.

P.S:

Before anyone accuses me of evading whatever absolutely perfect solution they believe they've suggested, let me mention that I have read every single post in this thread and responded to precisely what I considered relevant.

The OP for context. DA for immediately nailing the heart of the issue. Nicky because he was funny and because I don't believe that actual grown-ups could have such a difficult time with the nature of consent, if they weren't trying to kid themselves.

You've had the relevant facts of the matter. Feel free to take a look at the consequences of trying to kid ourselves about it.

QED

Edited by Harrison Danneskjold
Postscript

On 4/22/2017 at 4:35 PM, Harrison Danneskjold said:

It would appear so.

It may help to research what the IRS considers "voluntary", though.

I'd especially recommend the case files. They detail all sorts of ways that people have tried, over the years, to teach the IRS what "voluntary" means, and what was done to them for it.

The US federal government isn't operating under the assumption that taxation is voluntary.

Edited by Nicky