Objectivism Online Forum

Psychology of Self-Interest

Rate this topic

I've been reading him a lot lately ("Art of Living Consciously", "Honoring the Self", "The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem") and I must say I am extremely impressed. The questions that were created from learning Objectivism on a philosophical level were answered on a psychological level by these books. It's almost as if Nathaniel Branden truely help ground the philosophy even more by showing it's psychological application. This thread isn't to stir up the qualms people have with Mr. Branden but I would like to hear others input and to see if anyone who has read his books found any flaws, especially in the correlation of Objectivism. Thanks!

Edited by Release

• 3 months later...

Looking for posts on psycology, my search landed on this one.

If u surf to http://www.nathanielbranden.com there is certainly stuff that is thought-provoking yet I remain skeptic.

Though I have to admit that I remain more skeptic of Dr. Hurd specially quoting his cheeky article in CapMag http://capmag.com/article.asp?ID=3801

The Error of the Self-Esteem Movement

by Michael J. Hurd (June 24, 2004) (why not just mention names ?) :dough:

So unless I know more some better sources, I'd say one should tread causiouly while reading all that stuff from either men. :worry:

P.S [ IMPORTANT ]: It's such a pity to 'measure' the quality and content of Mr. Branden's writting's prior and post (AR-era). Sometimes just sometimes there is a faint glimpse of those gloried words he had written long ago. If-and-when I would read his present articles, that past association would be my 'only' motivation.

Edited by xobject

There might be some subtle jab at Branden implicit in that article, but I think Dr. Hurd is referring to the Self-Esteem Movement in a much broader sense than that contained in Dr. Branden's work. For instance, the mystical "self-esteem" of which the Public School System stands as self-proclaimed guardian is utterly antithetical to that which Branden advocates.

Both Branden's and Dr. Hurd's approach focus on what would be referred to in more clinical or academic works as an "internal locus of control." Implicit in such a condition is a feeling of personal efficacy (Dr. Hurd's "responsibility") and a feeling of personal worth (Dr. Branden's "self esteem") which are reciprocating and psychologically indivisible characteristics.

By criticizing the "Self-esteem Movement," Dr. Hurd could only be interpreted (IMO) as criticizing Dr. Branden inasmuch as Dr. Branden frequently takes credit for "launching" this movement, just as he takes credit for "launching" Objectivism.

I agree that Branden's earlier work was far superior to his more recent publications. His later stuff reads too much like an infomercial, selling his "approach."

Though I have to admit that I remain more skeptic of Dr. Hurd specially quoting his cheeky article in CapMag  http://capmag.com/article.asp?ID=3801

The Error of the Self-Esteem Movement

by Michael J. Hurd  (June 24, 2004)      (why not just mention names ?)  :dough: