Objectivism Online Forum

Immigration as related to loyalty

Rate this topic

Grames

2 hours ago, New Buddha said:

SL,

You are just wrong.  I'm really not sure how you can be so confident making such ridiculous statements about something that anyone can verify if they would bother to spend about 2 min. on the internet.

*Lots of charts. *

I could have saved you a lot of work if you just said "huh?  Double check your math."

Because I did and realized I screwed up and reversed the numbers...  Hey, I can admit an error. 

Reality is: 

21 years ago: 35 cents = 1 peso  so a 70 cent candy bar costs 2 pesos.  

Today: 5 cents equals = 1 peso so a 70 cent candy bar costs 14 pesos.  

So you are right, the peso is devalued extremely.  I should actually have known better than to assume the Mexican Government wasn't debasing their currency worse than us.  I just ran with your numbers as part of a larger point. To help you,  it is worse than seven fold when you consider inflation on the dollar.  

But this still misses the point.  OK, if we assume that large scale immigration is caused by a poor economy due to high inflation of the currency. Not sure that is really a thing here, we are not talking hyper-inflation, but for the sake of argument lets  say that people are moving to America because the Mexican Government is debasing their currency.  

This a problem to be fixed by a better monetary policy, not a trade issue.  Better trade deals will not stop anyone from printing wealth they do not have.  

Which is the point I failed to get across.  Mass Migration is caused by the country people run from, not the country they run to. 

26 minutes ago, Spiral Architect said:

Because I did and realized I screwed up and reversed the numbers...  Hey, I can admit an error. 

I appreciate that.

26 minutes ago, Spiral Architect said:

This a problem to be fixed by a better monetary policy, not a trade issue.  Better trade deals will not stop anyone from printing wealth they do not have.  

NAFTA is the mechanism to introduce currency reform in Mexico.  From the opening statement of the first round of NAFTA renegotiations.

"The agreement should have effective provisions to guard against currency manipulation."

Unfortunately, US (and other) transnational manufacturing corporations (not necessarily corporate agribusiness, thus the subsidies) will do everything they can to block just such a change taking place.  It's not the Government of Mexico per se that is devaluing the currency to keep wages artificially low in Mexico.  It's the Government in conjunction with foreign manufacturers.  These transnational corporations write the legislation and set currency policy in the US, Canada, and Mexico - not the Governments.  They also donate hundreds of millions of dollars in the US to both the Republican and Democrat establishment to prevent any changes taking place to the rigged system.  They like poor Mexican workers.

The "corruption" taking place in Mexico is not the blatant theft that we see in your typical third-world banana republics.  It is a very calculated corruption and, in some ways, it relies on the "relief valve" of people migrating from Mexico to the US.  At a minimum, $24,323,000,000 in remittances is sent each year back into Mexico from people living in the US (the number is probably MUCH higher than that since it's hard to track).  This money goes to the poorest-of-the-poor in Mexico, and because of the exchange rate, has more purchasing power in Mexico than the US.   The Mexican government does not want the people to come back.  Changes to US immigration policy will be one of the tools to force the much-needed reforms.

Because we are tied intimately to Mexico in so many ways, it is in our own best interest to do what we can to end poverty in that Country.  There is no reason that Mexico cannot be one of the wealthier nations in the world.

• 1 month later...

How exactly does Mexico devaluing their currency negatively impact the United States? And if it does, wouldn't that mean that we have the right to ban trade involving pesos? (Since inflation is a form of fraud, making a law against the use of pesos self-defense.) If that's the case, then the decision should be made based on whether or not such a policy is prudent, as well as whether or not it's consistent with the Constitution.