Objectivism Online Forum

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, CartsBeforeHorses said:

How it is my responsibility to pay for her abortion through tax dollars? If she wants to pay for her own, then fine, but it's not the duty of immigration enforcement officers to provide her with one, or with a doctor who will give her one. We're not Kantians last time I checked.

No, actually we need to give it full voting rights from age 12. That's Mexico's age of consent; they're clearly a better country than we are.

Its not an issue of money.  Even if it was, infant care while in custody is still way more expensive than any abortion.

40 minutes ago, Grames said:

Its not an issue of money.  Even if it was, infant care while in custody is still way more expensive than any abortion.

So who should get the bill in an ideal "Objectivist" world? The American taxpayer (AKA me and you), or the government of the country where she comes from?

3 hours ago, softwareNerd said:

Are you seriously claiming that this is an issue of money? 

Even if it were, she's in custody: her legitimate healthcare is the responsibility of her jailer -- i.e. you. But, you obviously know that money and tax-dollars are not the issue at all. Trump is trying to keep his hardcore-Christian voters happy by appointing some of their team to federal positions. And, being hardcore-Christian they are anti-abortion. So, one of them is trying to impose his hardcore religion by force of law.

Trying to shift this responsibility onto me is a form of altruism. Her healthcare should be the responsibility of her home country, or her, or anybody but me because I'm an Objectivist and I don't believe in self-sacrifice for others.

4 hours ago, CartsBeforeHorses said:

So who should get the bill in an ideal "Objectivist" world? The American taxpayer (AKA me and you), or the government of the country where she comes from?

Trying to shift this responsibility onto me is a form of altruism. Her healthcare should be the responsibility of her home country, or her, or anybody but me because I'm an Objectivist and I don't believe in self-sacrifice for others.

You continue to make this an issue of money, when you should know that it is not. Money has nothing to do with this case. It is about hardcore Christianity. It's not as if the government is asking her to pay, or asking some other government to pay. They simply aren't allowing a procedure.

Trump's ICE agents enter private property without a warrant, and dressed in civilian clothes. 
An American citizen tries to remind them of the law, and rights, and they back down for a bit, but then decide that such niceties aren't going to stop them. 

It is White Caucasians who voted Hitler into power and thus gave the Gestapo their power.
And regular American voters -- not Mexicans or Asian -- will give up their rights one by one, until they finally find themselves with no recourse.

Edited by softwareNerd

10 hours ago, softwareNerd said:

Trump's ICE agents

Those are civil service employees of the U.S.  govt, they will be around long after Trump is gone and most of them especially the senior ones were in place long before Trump arrived.  Here's a NY Times article from 2007:  No Need for a Warrant, You're an Immigrant   There is no trend here.

15 hours ago, softwareNerd said:

So you're saying Trump is bad, but no worse than Obama?

It depends on what you think is bad.  Immigration law remains unchanged so far. 

It is not established within Objectivism that every human right ought to map to a formal legal right or that every formal legal right maps onto a human right.  In my opinion ethics and law are two different fields, different enough that there cannot be such a correspondence.  A big one is that ethics should strive to make universal claims, but law (not politics, law and particular codes of law) is for specific sets of people and specific geographic domains.