Objectivism Online Forum

Capitalist from Canada

Rate this topic

Hello all!

I'm very glad I found this forum. I've been lurking on this forum for a while now and figured I should join because I know I have plenty to offer to discussion and have many questions for other students of Objectivism. I'm 24 years old, a University grad, and I'm currently practicing as a registered nurse in Critical Care. I live in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

An interesting tidbit on my knowledge of Ayn Rand and Objectivism and how it has influenced my life pertains to how it has affected my romantic life. You see, I have (in the past) always adhered to conservatism and my girlfriend was a definite liberal. We always had a wonderful relationship since we were both passionate about ideas, both adventurous, and shared many of the same interests, but we always "butted heads" when it came to some fundamental questions about our personal philosophical convictions.

It seem that upon our mutual discovery of Ayn Rand and continual learning about Objectivism and it's applications, this deep seated conflict has resolved, and consequently our love lives have grown immensely. Essentially, before I embraced Objectivism I adhered to conservatism because I believed in Moral absolutism - but I could not defend this rationally because I relied on the notion of God. My girlfriend was a liberal because she rejected the religious basis of conservatism - however she was an ethical subjectivist and also could not defend her position (ie. that killing is evil, regardless of your culture or personal feelings).

Thankfully, Objectivism has solved this conflict. Morality IS absolute (it's based on reality), and the only morality compatible with my (former) religious convictions is altruism.

Welcome to the forum, fellow Ontarionite! Or is it Ontarionian.... You write with conviction and I look forward to reading your future posts!

I see that you're from Toronto. Are you aware of any Objectivist clubs or lectures that occur in this area? I think UofT has an Objectivist club, but I'm sure it's for students of that school.

A canadian capitalist?

Oh no my country us doomed :D

Nice to have you onbaord, this forum is great.

Yes! And we need more pro-capitalists in this country as we are on a downward slope towards dehumanizing collectivism. Multiculturalism as government policy, an entrenched Liberal party, Quebec separist appeasement (read: adscam), the list goes on. This country is a disgrace with regard to diversity in the realm of ideas. Just observe our CBC or the seething anti-capitalist mentality in our Universities. Is it any wonder our intellectuals and producers go to America? I thought it was interesting to find out that Leonard Peikoff is a Canadian himself.

I am definately a minority where I work. Probably the only pro-capitalist working within our Socialized health care system.

Yes!  And we need more pro-capitalists in this country as we are on a downward slope towards dehumanizing collectivism.  Multiculturalism as government policy, an entrenched Liberal party, Quebec separist  appeasement (read: adscam), the list goes on.  This country is a disgrace with regard to diversity in the realm of ideas.  Just observe our CBC or the seething anti-capitalist mentality in our Universities.  Is it any wonder our intellectuals and producers go to America?  I thought it was interesting to find out that Leonard Peikoff is a Canadian himself.

I am definately a minority where I work.  Probably the only pro-capitalist working within our Socialized health care system.

Wow. Now if all Canadiens were like you I would have a much higher opinion of you guys. :D

Wow. Now if all Canadiens were like you I would have a much higher opinion of you guys. :)

Aw, c'mon. You're not saying that you make a collective judgement about all Canadians, and you don't judge each individual based on their character, are you? :) Just like so many Canadians think Americans are gun-wielding, pickup-driving, racist, rednecks?