Objectivism Online Forum

Rate this topic

On 1/8/2019 at 3:12 PM, Eiuol said:

It's clearly an essential element of the concept God, and is a sufficient condition for something to qualify as God, but that's leaving aside the fact that I think he is in denial about believing in God. Anyway, of course his claims are very controversial, you agree with the claims, so what are you trying to offer to the conversation? I'm not trying to argue here, I'm trying to pull out something to talk about.

I was addressing Intrinsicist because I don't agree with him and wanted to see if he would address my prior criticism of the Logos idea. If you have any new thoughts on universals, that might be something for us to discuss here. Though I think we exhausted that topic last year. It probably wouldn't be productive for us to talk about the Logos, since neither one of us believes in it. However, I am generally curious about this effort by people like Intrinsicist to convince us that the Logos is an irrefutable fact. I'm noticing this sort of idealism being applied in other threads about morality and politics too. I'd like to understand it better, and see if it goes any deeper than the Logos.

On 2/3/2018 at 3:28 PM, Grames said:

"Preconceptual awareness of qualitative recurrence", use that phrase a few times when speaking or writing and people will think you must be pretty smart.

Pretty late here but this made me lol

On 1/8/2019 at 12:05 PM, MisterSwig said:

Have you made any progress convincing Objectivists of the reality of the Logos?

If Logos was interpreted as the laws of physics I would maybe possibly be on board, but definitely have to reject it as any concept of a metaphysical "God".

Edited by EC

3 hours ago, EC said:

If Logos was interpreted as the laws of physics I would maybe possibly be on board, but definitely have to reject it as any concept of a metaphysical "God".

Okay, let's imagine that Logos is the laws of physics, and it's not a metaphysical god. Would it actually be "laws" (plural) or a single law (Grand Unified Theory?) of which we now only understand parts? If the Logos is multiple laws, are they all equally important, or of varying importance? Is there an order to them? Supposing there is only one law, has it remained unchanged through all time, or is it capable of changing? If it changes, what might be the cause of this change?