Objectivism Online Forum

How much danger are we in? What can we do?

Rate this topic

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/special-counsel-indicts-13-russian-nationals-russia-investigation/story?id=53147082

Indictments were announced today against 13 Russians who meddled in the US elections. Many of them operated on US soil.

The 37-page indictment, signed by special counsel Robert Mueller, depicts an elaborate scheme in which some of the Russians accused allegedly came to the U.S. with the deliberate intention of undermining the American political and electoral process, including the 2016 presidential election The new indictment comes amid a wide-ranging probe by the special counsel into Russian meddling in the U.S. election and is also the first set of charges by Mueller for 2016 presidential election interference.

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein said on Friday the Russians charged called their work "information warfare against the United States" with the goal of spreading distrust of candidates and the political system in general.

The individuals operated social media pages and groups designed to attract American audiences with a strategic goal to "sow discord in the U.S. political system". They staged rallies and had a basic infrastructure which included computers and other support systems.

One Russian conspirator, after learning Facebook was cooperating with the FBI, wrote of a scramble to mask efforts.

“We had a slight crisis here at work, the fbi busted our activity (not a joke). So I got preoccupied with covering tracks together with the colleagues,” the person wrote according to the indictment. “I created all these pictures and posts, and the Americans believe that it was written by their people.”

Link to the actual indictment: http://abcnews.go.com/images/Politics/internet-research-agency-grand-jury-indictment-180216.pdf

Up to 200 members of a private Russian military force killed in a battle engaging US backed rebels and US special forces:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/13/world/europe/russia-syria-dead.html

It's unclear how close to Putin the person who ordered them into battle against the United States military is. But the ultimate responsibility clearly rests with the man in charge. He's the one playing with fire, by sending poorly trained, poorly organized mercenaries into the highest stakes war zone in the world, because there's an election coming up and he's trying to hide the casualties from the Russian people.

5 hours ago, Nicky said:

Up to 200 members of a private Russian military force killed in a battle engaging US backed rebels and US special forces:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/13/world/europe/russia-syria-dead.html

It's unclear how close to Putin the person who ordered them into battle against the United States military is. But the ultimate responsibility clearly rests with the man in charge. He's the one playing with fire, by sending poorly trained, poorly organized mercenaries into the highest stakes war zone in the world, because there's an election coming up and he's trying to hide the casualties from the Russian people.

Correction by NY Times:

Correction: February 13, 2018 Because of an editing error, an earlier version of this article incorrectly described an account by a Syrian military officer. He said that about 100 Syrian — not Russian — soldiers died in fighting on Feb. 7 and 8.

But isn't this off topic here?  That has nothing to do with Mueller's impending show trial of Russian Twitter trolls who are safely in Russia and will never face "justice".

19 hours ago, Nicky said:

There are no editing errors in the version I linked to. Is this not clear to you, or are you just trolling?

You haven't felt a need to click your own link again?  The NYT put a correction on the bottom of the article.

On 2/17/2018 at 4:37 AM, Nicky said:

Indictments were announced today against 13 Russians who meddled in the US elections. Many of them operated on US soil.

Once again we are reminded how terrible it is when foreigners posing as citizens do jobs only Americans should be doing.

There is little doubt about the Russians meddling in American affairs, especially the 2016 election.  However, there were many other factors that contributed to Trump's win.  His bromides about immigration and how immigrants took jobs away from those in Middle America, his pledge to deport undocumented immigrants, his diatribes about law and order, and even his slogan "Make America Great Again"- these had broad appeal to those outside the Northeast and West Coast.  I'm not so sure about the dangers that the Russians pose as much as the Trump government with its staunch defense of weapon rights, it's racist policies, etc.  His real slogan should have been "Make America Toxic."

On 2/20/2018 at 6:09 PM, Grames said:

You haven't felt a need to click your own link again?  The NYT put a correction on the bottom of the article.

Again: there are no editing errors in the article I posted. There weren't any when I posted it, and there aren't any now. The article hasn't been altered in any way since I first posted it.

It's really not that difficult to figure this out.

Edited by Nicky

On 2/20/2018 at 6:12 PM, Grames said:

Once again we are reminded how terrible it is when foreigners posing as citizens do jobs only Americans should be doing.

Straw man. The Objectivist position in favor of free immigration doesn't mean allowing enemy agents to operate on a capitalist country's soil.

On 2/21/2018 at 3:26 PM, Nicky said:

Again: there are no editing errors in the article I posted. There weren't any when I posted it, and there aren't any now. The article hasn't been altered in any way since I first posted it.

Flush your browser cache, Mr. IT professional.  Or just try incognito mode if you use Google's Chrome browser.

On 2/21/2018 at 3:30 PM, Nicky said:

Straw man. The Objectivist position in favor of free immigration doesn't mean allowing enemy agents to operate on a capitalist country's soil.

Hypocrisy.  The Objectivist position on freedom of speech is to meet lies, propaganda and bad reasoning with more speech not censorship or indictments.

On 2/21/2018 at 3:26 PM, Nicky said:

The NYT posted the story on Monday the 12th, you (Nicky) posted the link here on Monday the 12th, the correction is dated on the 13th.  So the original link when you posted it did have an error in it, a big one which was in fact the leading fact and essence of the story.   You claim "The article hasn't been altered in any way since I first posted it."  Well, okay then.  

18 hours ago, Grames said:

Flush your browser cache, Mr. IT professional.  Or just try incognito mode if you use Google's Chrome browser.

17 hours ago, Grames said:

The NYT posted the story on Monday the 12th, you (Nicky) posted the link here on Monday the 12th, the correction is dated on the 13th.  So the original link when you posted it did have an error in it, a big one which was in fact the leading fact and essence of the story.   You claim "The article hasn't been altered in any way since I first posted it."  Well, okay then. 

Your confidence and bravado about purported abilities you clearly lack is astonishing. Last time I encountered this level of arrogance, a four year old kid was demanding that he be allowed to fly the plane we were on.

Since I'm not getting anywhere by explaining why you're wrong, let's try pictures. From further on up the page, here's you quoting the post in question:

s5bYT1D.png

Can you tell when I posted it now, or am I gonna end up having to start up Paint and draw an arrow?

Edited by Nicky

On 2/23/2018 at 2:59 PM, Nicky said:

Your confidence and bravado about purported abilities you clearly lack is astonishing. Last time I encountered this level of arrogance, a four year old kid was demanding that he be allowed to fly the plane we were on.

Since I'm not getting anywhere by explaining why you're wrong, let's try pictures. From further on up the page, here's you quoting the post in question:

s5bYT1D.png

Can you tell when I posted it now, or am I gonna end up having to start up Paint and draw an arrow?

Okay you win one, I was mislead by the date stamp which is not in fact a date stamp until some indefinite number of days go by.  It only said Monday not February 17 for the longest time.

It still needs to be settled why you even bothered to post this?   NYT first posted the story because they thought hundreds of Russians were killed, then they had to run the correction which killed the significance of the story.  If mercenenaries were killed that were Russian it doesn't matter for diplomatic purposes.  NYT made an error, what's your excuse?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Guccifer 2, the persona claiming to be the lone hacker behind the DNC breach, logs into one of his social media accounts without turning on his VPN.

When you do that, your IP is of course logged, and an IP's geographic location is public knowledge. So now one of the most amazing coincidences ever is also public knowledge: totally lone wolf and independent hacker Guccifer 2 lives on Grizodubovoy Street in Moscow...which, by total coincidence, happens to be the address of the GRU headquarters (Russian General Main Staff Intelligence Directorate, Russia's largest foreign intelligence agency).

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/03/dnc-lone-hacker-guccifer-2-0-pegged-as-russian-spy-after-opsec-fail/

This would be a huge scoop...if everything it proves (that the Russians hacked the DNC, and Guccifer 2 is a dummy account they've used to spread the material they obtained through that hack) wasn't already proven fact.

As things stand, it's just anotherrock solid piece of evidence for trumpies to ignore.