Jump to content
Objectivism Online Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Doug Morris

Using geometry to fight gerrymandering

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

IMO we should resolutely oppose efforts to limit "gerrymandering", with the same vigor that we oppose "fairness" and "equality", "climate change" and thousands of other meaningless political buzz-words. We must especially oppose those forces of technocracy which claim they have a technological means of nailing jelly to a tree. Although science is real, the contemporary slogan "Science is real" does not refer to that fact, it refers to an authoritarian premise, which needs to be identified and combated.

We do not need a technological solution to the problem of language.

(Hint: there is no "problem of language")

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SpookyKitty said:

Wait, why exactly don't we want to stop gerrymandering?

The reason why we don't want to stop gerrymandering and you do is because we're familiar with the methods being proposed to attempt to stop it...and you're not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nicky said:

The reason why we don't want to stop gerrymandering and you do is because we're familiar with the methods being proposed to attempt to stop it...and you're not. 

Then please make a contribution. SK literally asked and your response is to troll. Your response is trivial, "if you knew what we knew, you'd know". Well, that's the point of a forum, and you know that. To see what others know. Don't discourage questions.

Edited by Eiuol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Eiuol said:

Then please make a contribution. SK literally asked and your response is to troll. Your response is trivial, "if you knew what we knew, you'd know".

I disagree with your evaluation. In fact, I believe an intelligent person should find my post more informative than everything you've ever posted.

Edited by Nicky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nicky said:

I disagree with your evaluation. In fact, I believe an intelligent person should find my post more informative than everything you've ever posted.

Why do you feel the need to be so cloak and dagger about it?

Just say what you think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SpookyKitty said:

Why do you feel the need to be so cloak and dagger about it?

Why don't you clarify why you think it is bad? Maybe that will be a start. I'm really curious why we should stop this.
Or, better yet, define what it is: objectively. That would be a huge step forward in this "conversation".

Edited by softwareNerd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, softwareNerd said:

Why don't you clarify why you think it is bad? Maybe that will be a start. I'm really curious why we should stop this.
Or, better yet, define what it is: objectively. That would be a huge step forward in this "conversation".

Definition of gerrymandering- The practice of redrawing district boundaries so as to maximize the number of seats that the incumbent party gets in a state legislature and to minimize the amount of seats of the opposing party.

I didn't say it was bad. I just don't see any reason at all why it would be good, let alone why we should oppose any attempts to stop it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Nicky said:

I disagree with your evaluation. In fact, I believe an intelligent person should find my post more informative than everything you've ever posted.

Aw, quit being so modest, Nicky.

What you really meant to say, "I know that even an ant should find my post more informative than everything mankind has ever posted, including the Library of Alexandria, Wikipedia, and even Sports Illustrated."

BTW how are those little social experiments of yours turning out? I'm glad that you're spending such an opportunity as motherhood to make kids who are just as nice as you are. Who needs politeness, amirite? I really want to meet your offspring someday (I don't).

Edited by CartsBeforeHorses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×